Majority of students are Overseas

Discussion in 'Careers' started by scarlets, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scarlets

scarlets Member

This is a very attractive country for people to migrate too for various reasons, that's just how it is. People will have no problem coming in at a discount as that beats what they get if they stay back home. There's an example on this thread.

2. scarlets

scarlets Member

I don't buy the warped logic that we need to dominate the membership with overseas people and import as many as we can to work in the UK for actuary to have a future in the UK. In fact my view in the complete opposite.

OK, so by that logic everyone in Britain is over paid, because there's probably someone in the world who we can bring in to do all our jobs for a bit cheaper.

Then what?

3. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

Then you accept the challenge, improve the quality of your services and prove why you deserve the higher pay, instead of turning your country into communist Russia.

Tell me, will you as an individual pay $50 for a shoe that's available for $5 in another shop? Will you comment "Hey, I'm going to pay $50 to this shop owner because we grew up in the same neighborhood"?

4. Java Jive

Java Jive Member

scarlets, as I am the example, let me reassure you that I did not took your job. For my position, you need to be qualified/part-qualified with CII as well (in underwriting) and fluent in Russian, it is a niche (and very interesting) job and to be honest I would have never came to the UK for a stupid number monkey job after being a chief actuary, it does not matter if it was paid x5 or x10.

The bright side for me is the employer bears the full cost of both qualifications I pursue, and if I had an option to cash it in, it would be not that far from a market level salary for a part-qualified.

5. DevonMatthews

DevonMatthews Member

I think someone in this thread is mad that he/she has taken the best part of a decade to complete the CT series whilst whinging and observing immigrants make better career progress.

6. Actuarialism

Actuarialism Member

Wow, I thought this topic was done and dusted...

"As someone pointed out earlier, if there is a restriction on import of actuaries and the actuarial students into Eu, you will benefit, but the profession will eventually become like the Indian education system."

Once this happens the competitiveness, in terms of wage and expertise of the UK profession, will go and so will the jobs! Another society will take these talented people and will not care about keeping actuarial companies in the UK.

The only way to preserve your job prospects is surely to continue developing your skills as an actuary...

7. scarlets

scarlets Member

"The bright side for me is the employer bears the full cost of both qualifications I pursue, and if I had an option to cash it in, it would be not that far from a market level salary for a part-qualified."

Which would be how much?

8. scarlets

scarlets Member

Some people in this discussion don't seem to understand that there have been much more immigration restrictions in the UK in the past, prior to closer EU integration and before actuary went on the shortage list. That didn't exactly damage the actuarial career or economy in the UK or cause its expertise or standards to deteriorate.

Yet when one argues to keep those restrictions in place, some overseas people as we can see on this thread, and even some pc UK members, are making ludicrous statements that the UK profession will have no future, standards will fall and that we will become a communist country.

It is quite offensive to UK actuaries and its proud traditions that some overseas people are alleging that if we don't allow them to take up UK jobs for less and dominate the membership then somehow we have no future. We seem to have got by just fine without your involvement, thanks all the same.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2011
  9. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

10. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Let's call this one a day shall we, it's getting a bit too personal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.