Judgment Day

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Infinity, Feb 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Null

Null Member

Well said.

2. almost_there

almost_there Member

Amen. Great post, well said, I completely agree. Glad to see decent actuaries like you standing up to this appalling conduct by IFoA bosses. They've treated those of us who have put these concerns to them with pure contempt. There needs to be a big internal inquiry into what IFoA have been up to and how much money has been thrown at lawyers in this whole process. I believe members are being ripped off in so many ways.

Lapsed_Student likes this.
  3. Tarbuck

Tarbuck Member

Indeed, Well said whistleblower. I'm just glad that an upstanding and renowned institution like the Daily Mail has taken this on to show people the light.

ProudActuary likes this.
  4. almost_there

almost_there Member

lol is the actuary magazine too prestigious to report on findings of IFoA discrimination? lol

5. Null

Null Member

It’s also been reported in the FT, Private Eye and Insurance ERM. Is that enough or would you like more?

Just be because it didn’t make the prestigious Actuary magazine, doesn’t mean that it’s not newsworthy. It is an embarrassment that the Actuary magazine has published nothing and that the IFOA have made no comment. It goes to show how the despicable the Executive management at the IFOA really are

Lapsed_Student and almost_there like this.
  6. Null

Null Member

So the judgment has been public for a month now. The IFoA have made any comment or taken any action to stop the discrimination that the court has described as continuing.

The financial Times, private Eye, daily mail and insurance erm have had time to comment, why not the actuary magazine?

How are people still sticking up for the IFOA? Why has the FRC not taken any action?

Does the IFoA think it is above the law?

almost_there likes this.
  7. Tarbuck

Tarbuck Member

I don't condone it no, but I don't think discrimination was the driver of the action - who discriminates against their own demographic? Its a difficult area being an international organisation and all of the relevant laws and cultures that go into it. If an insurance company tried to charge a female driver less than a male driver for a car insurance policy these days that would also be ruled as discriminatory in a court of law, despite clear evidence statistically that they are a lower risk. Do I think we should be working with other countries and working towards a joint goal, taking into account things like lower incomes in siad countries? Absolutely. Did the IFOA overstep the mark here? Absolutely. Do I think there was any malice in their intentions? Not at all. Do I think its an absolute nonsense it is being used as an excuse for not passing and a beleif you will get compensation for a change in curriculum with plenty of notice and plenty of opportunity to pass before or after said curriculum change? Yes. The gender and other discirminatory things you all bring up are so absurd I don't even know how to comment on.

I know thats my opinion and that it differs from yours. I have no issue with the fact your view is different and even hold my hands up and say the reality is probably somewhere between the 2. What I am sick of and have been for months now is the repitition, taking over other threads, ignoring reaosned attempts at debate, cherry picking arguments and stats and so on across the forum. I've seen poeple banned for spamming for much less. If you want more support I would advise you took a more measured and reasoned approach because all you're doing at the moment is alienating people. If you attack anyone who questions anything you say you're just going to end up with some weird cult like following like you 3 have already and that will probably win over as many people in a court room as it has on this forum.

Callum, ProudActuary and C_F like this.
  8. Null

Null Member

Love it. So even after a court ruling the claimant is still in the wrong... what is a more reasoned approach? Complain to the SCF? the FRC? Putting things right!?

The IFoA has indulged in a shameful contravention of the Equality Act. They’ve broken the law.

I don’t think you realize the seriousness of the situation and the impact it will have on the reputation of the Institute of Actuaries.

How many careers have been ruined, how many people have given up their lives for these exams only to find out that the light at the end of the tunnel (if they even reach the end) was nothing more than a candle which is about to go out?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2019
    Lapsed_Student and almost_there like this.
  9. almost_there

almost_there Member

Find me an actuary, an IFoA council member, an IFoA Executive or leadership figure, or organisation associated with IFoA, who has publicly backed IFoA in light of this Judgment? All we've seen so far are some anonymous posters on here seeking to trash and trivialise the Court's finding and are imposing dubious motives on the claimant. The comment "Good decision" under the Daily Mail article was nearly a thousand for versus 15 against. Therefore I cannot see a serious division of opinion as you're suggesting.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2019
  10. almost_there

almost_there Member

There are many. I doubt they will be pleased to hear they were denied opportunity by IFoA. I expect some of them will explore their legal options.

11. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Seems that there is a difference of opinion from myself and other posters on this forum. Has compensation been set for the claimant yet? I wonder how this would be determined - the exams are not a lottery so even with an extra 2 sittings there's no guarantee he'd have passed.

12. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Just as well really, otherwise I'm not convinced that chenbod would be able to post ever again given that shameful comment posted by whistleblower which was hastily and correctly deleted by the moderators.

13. almost_there

almost_there Member

It appears your opinions are shared with 0.15% of those who voted underneath the article.

14. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Lol. I think all of the Daily Mail posters have vendettas against the IFoA and are posting purely for their own personal financial gain. I reject your statistical analysis.

15. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Glad to see you highlight some positive characteristics associated with being an Actuary. Makes me proud to be one :)

16. Null

Null Member

I thought you had enough Proud Actuary? Why do you keep commenting?

How can you be proud of an organisation that operates against the law?

chenbod and Lapsed_Student like this.
  17. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Important to challenge people who make unsubstianted comments, null. People also keep referring to me in posts (a la almost_there/chembod).

chenbod likes this.
  18. Null

Null Member

Unsubstantiated because they don’t appear in the Actuary magazine? Acted please delete proud actuary’s post as it is unsubstantiated.

There are many more people that have complained about the IFOA. Take a look at the IFOA Facebook page. Although the worst comments have just been taken down

Proud actuary - same question to you. Do you condone the illegal and discriminatory behaviour of the IFoA?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2019
  19. almost_there

almost_there Member

20. Null

Null Member

The failure to mention the court ruling is as telling as the failure to mention a successor...

Proud actuary, didn’t you say something about nothing is going to change??

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2019
    Calm, almost_there and chenbod like this.
  21. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

I took a look there. Appears to be sustained complaints from 2 people, with most other positive comments. Rating of 4.4/5 stars with many positive comments.

Unfortunate that the other posts were "deleted"...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.