Judgment Day

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Infinity, Feb 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

I didn't, hence why I'm asking

2. almost_there

almost_there Member

Maybe it's best to ask IFoA about it.

3. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Ah, ok. Sorry to hear if it wasn't the outcome the claimant had hoped for.

4. almost_there

almost_there Member

Not saying that at all, just curious why you haven't asked them, I'm sure they'd love to tell you all about it.

5. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

ok then - I'll keep my eyes peeled for news breaking. You reckon BBC or CNN will be the first to carry the story?

6. almost_there

almost_there Member

Are you shy as well as proud? Ask IFoA then tell us all about it.

7. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Yeah, that's a logical approach. Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll include those in the email too.

8. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Caution posters - whistleblower and almost_there are advocating taking legal action without being able to answer a simple question of whether they have entered litigation with the IFoA and the outcome! A case of "do as I say not as I do" if ever there was one.

Also very odd that no-one has mentioned the outcome of the judgment from yesterday... perhaps indicating that they are disappointed at the outcome. Or perhaps they have taken a different more conservative approach rather than shouting from the rooftops...

9. almost_there

almost_there Member

False. Didn't you email IFoA to find out?

10. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

So you have taken legal action against the IFoA?

11. almost_there

almost_there Member

Proud never answered whistleblower's question...

12. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

13. almost_there

almost_there Member

Any Brits joined IAI yet?

14. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

I hear that joining a professional body based in another country from where you work is a very common thing to do these days....

15. almost_there

almost_there Member

Indeed, most IFoA students are non-UK... for now anyway. It remains to be seen whether Indian students stick around if IFoA dissolve the discriminatory arrangements....

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2019
  16. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Must be recognition of how the qualificatiin is perceived as a "gold standard" :)

17. almost_there

almost_there Member

I think the primary reason so many Indian students joined is to double up their exam chances.

18. almost_there

almost_there Member

Hey Proud actuary, let's work out some numbers, I'm sure you will enjoy that since you are an actuary. There are around 6,000 Indian student actuaries in IFoA. If they're on reduced rate subscription of £73 then that's £438,000 subs. How many exams do they take each year with IFoA in your estimation, Proud?

19. Null

Null Member

Most of the IFOA membership is from foreign countries (mainly India). Only 1/3 are British members. So yes it is very common indeed. Where are all your colleagues Proud Actuary?

Lapsed_Student and almost_there like this.
  20. almost_there

almost_there Member

That's correct, the growth in student membership, the lion's share of it is down to students from India. In each annual report we hear Mr Cribb and others boast of this increase in student membership. It's fair to question in light of the Court judgment whether so many would have joined IFoA if it didn't provide them with the extra exam opportunities. Elsewhere on the internet we see Indian students openly advise each other to join IFoA to sit exams with it as well as IAI, despite the fact that sitting exams with IFoA costs them 2.5 times more. They even advise to sit some exams with IFoA and others with IAI due to different pass rates for certain exams, to maximise chances of passing. These students are not doing anything wrong, what they do is clever and strategic, taking advantage of the opportunity put to them by IFoA that was denied to British students.

21. chenbod

chenbod Member

Hi everyone

Although I browse this great forum, (which helped me pass many of the CTs - Thanks) I have never posted here and therefore I am taking a bit of a leap by starting a thread as my first post.

I just read the Daily Mail article about the IFoA’s anti British racism and was disgusted by their (those that run the IFoA) apparent disregard for their British members.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...m-racially-discriminated-against-BRITISH.html

Why did they (those that run the IFoA) ever think it was correct to treat British nationals less favourably than Indian nationals?

The IFoA’s management and executive doesn’t represent me.

Whether or not members are qualified, most if not nearly all of the actuaries I have met to date and worked with are decent people. (The same cannot be said about those that earn huge salaries in banking.)

Many are sticklers for the rules. That is why we are generally seen as a safe pair of hands. (and why we sign passports and bankers do not;))

Those that run our profession do us an injustice. They certainly do not represent me or many others.

We devote significant chunks of our adult lives to pursue the qualification.

To find out that the body that we entrusted to confer that qualification is behaving in this manner is disgusting. It makes me sick to the bottom of my stomach.

It is an insult to be governed by those that let this happen.

Why have the profession not taken action against those responsible?

How can we ever trust those involved in this shameful debacle?

Those responsible must resign.

We need a thorough expose of what actually happened. Not just the court judgement.

Finally, I congratulate the claimant for putting up a fight to get justice.

almost_there and Null like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.