Judgment Day

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Infinity, Feb 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chenbod

chenbod Member

I hope the Claimant wins 5 million. I dont care if our fees go up. I support his efforts. I am happy to pay more and so is everyone else on this forum.

Null likes this.
  2. Null

Null Member

Please read the court judgment and the latest insurance ERM article.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2019
    Lapsed_Student likes this.
  3. Tarbuck

Tarbuck Member

And I'm off to talk to a brick wall

4. Null

Null Member

Your attitude towards the law and professional conduct seem to be lacking. The court has stated that the IFOA have discriminated and you don’t seem to have any pity or remorse for the discriminatory actions of the organisation of which you are supposedly a member

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2019
  5. Null

Null Member

That’s what I’ve been doing for the last 2 years. Now things are about to change as you’ve seen from the resignation of Derek Cribb

6. Harashima Senju

Harashima Senju Ton up Member

If I had 4 tries to write an exam I would have qualified a long time ago. Not to mention the advantage in spacing exams that would otherwise clash like when I wrote ct4 in the morning and ct8 in the afternoon

Null and Singapore Actuary like this.
  7. Harashima Senju

Harashima Senju Ton up Member

This is great news! Most folks don't understand the stubbornness of the IFOA and see them as their friend that puts a high barrier of entry to become a qualified actuary

Null and Singapore Actuary like this.
  8. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

He could have stepped down for a number of reasons. Nothing at all to suggest it's because of this judgment which highlighted a loophole with the mutual recognition arrangements.

9. Null

Null Member

That’s not what I have heard. It’s even in the media that his departure could be linked to the racism ruling.

Also it’s not a loophole, what you seem to be keen to down play is the fact that the IFOA has been done for discrimination against British students, both direct and indirect. They’ve also been done for instructing to discriminate. The court has commented the discrimination is ongoing and now a month has passed and we have yet to see any response or change in policy from the IFoA, apart from the resignation of the CEO.

10. Null

Null Member

Thanks for your support.

11. I tried to join the IAI a few weeks ago and they havnt got back.

12. Null

Null Member

oh look, someone else has the same problem

it's no surprise. The Judge has said that the IFoA continue to discriminate and they have not made any statement about what they will do with regards to working with the IAI

the right thing would be to discontinue relations with the IAI given what has happened. There are 0 British students in the IAI, yet there are 5,800 Indian students in the IFoA (compared to 5,600 British students in the IFoA!)

It is because the IAI generates a large income stream for the IFoA, so they don't want to just end the relationship...

Harashima Senju and almost_there like this.
  13. almost_there

almost_there Member

It looks that way. I can't see how they would equalise the opportunity without losing money somehow. This is not an excuse whatsoever to continue discriminating.

14. almost_there

almost_there Member

The latest issue of the actuary magazine also fails to tell members what's been going on. This is wrong. Members deserve to know.

15. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

16. almost_there

almost_there Member

It is wrong for Mr Cribb not to apologise for what the Court found against IFoA.

17. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Still no disclosure from the IFoA regarding the court case I see.

18. almost_there

almost_there Member

Meanwhile Insurance ERM reported yesterday

"Dispute over equivalency of actuarial qualifications returns to court.
    The Institute and Faculty of Actuaries faces appeal over 2018 race discrimination case"

19. Alpesh Patel

Alpesh Patel Member

20. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

21. almost_there

almost_there Member

Why does IFoA keep making statements like this yet won't say a word about the Judgment against them, nor explain why they don't have an equality or diversity policy that applies to their actual members. It reads so phoney!

"Diversity and inclusion
    We are committed to promoting diversity and inclusion in all our policies, practices and procedures. This applies to all of the IFoA’s professional dealings with our employees, members, volunteers and third parties. The IFoA acknowledges that recognising and embracing the unique and diverse talents of its workforce, members and volunteers is fundamental to the success of the organisation."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.