1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential claims against the UK profession(s)

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by whistleblower21, Jun 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Having looked at the Equality Act 2010, it appears that people can bring certain types of discrimination claims against UK professions including the Actuarial profession on the following protected grounds:

1. age;
    2. disability;
    3. gender reassignment;
    4. marriage and civil partnership;
    5. pregnancy and maternity;
    6. race;
    7. religion or belief;
    8. sex;
    9. sexual orientation

What are your thoughts on the matter

almost_there likes this.
  2. almost_there

almost_there Member

My thoughts are that IFoA don't have a complaints process for members regarding the above. Be aware that there is a 3 month time limit for bringing cases to the Employment Tribunal. Therefore don't waste months trying to get IFoA to address such complaints as you'll end up timing yourselves out of making a claim, which suits IFoA very much, as then it doesn't get addressed at all anywhere. Having said that EHRC are particularly keen on gender complaints so that's another option.

3. Null

Null Member

Interesting and unfortunately the only option.

4. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

5. Null

Null Member

6. almost_there

almost_there Member

Fake complaints process. Nothing to be proud of, proudactuary.

7. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

I don't have anything to complain about - seems as if you, almost_there and whistleblower are correcting all the wrongs the profession has ever done. Perhaps in a few years time when you have effected such significant changes you will be rewarded with Honorary Fellowship and we can all be Proud Actuaries together.

8. almost_there

almost_there Member

It's a bit like bingo, number 6 ticked off. Wonder which will be next...

9. Null

Null Member

You’re happy that the IFOA are wasting your money in legal fees and that they’re not following the recommendations of the UK government in the Morris review and that your job is going to be outsourced to India or Africa? You happy to be associated with a CEO that has no problem to lie in an annual report or that your prized fellowship qualification is about to be rendered worthless. The IFOA very close to their next marketing message - the fellowship is worth nothing. The Chartered Actuary would have been good enough...

almost_there and Calm like this.
  10. Null

Null Member

I’d be happy if they awarded me with FIA*. They seem to award that to any Tom, Dick and Harry... or rather Jürgen, Dieter or Helmut

11. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Surely Jurgen, Dieter or Helmut would have to have achieved qualified status in their own country, with a period of supervised work experience in the UK before transferring to FIA/FFA*?

12. almost_there

almost_there Member

Do you know what that involves? IFoA never showed anyone.

13. Null

Null Member

The IFOA do say they’ve performed stringent checks to ensure equivalence...

14. Null

Null Member

There are quite a few more complaints if you haven’t noticed...

15. almost_there

almost_there Member

They also say they're against discrimination...

16. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Their website certainly suggests they are. If in doubt, why don't you email and ask?

17. almost_there

almost_there Member

You miss the point. They've been done for discrimination. Why don't they apologise for what they've been found out for, on their website.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2019
  18. Null

Null Member

Yes I’m not sure what they’re waiting for. it appears they’ve given up defending the discrimination which has now been proven in a court of law and the IFOA are following the argument that the compensation was not very much... the details will be published when the court has determined the outcome. This has not happened yet. As can be seen by articles in the FT and Insurance ERM, you don’t have to wait until the Actuary magazine publishes which will likely be never...

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2019
  19. almost_there

almost_there Member

Indeed. What makes it worse is they've not owned up to any of the above when findings made against them. It's a hard sell to get members to volunteer their time for such an organisation.

20. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Lots of people volunteer for the IFoA. I don't think it's a hard sell at all. As I mentioned previously, I'm considering applying to be a volunteer :)

21. almost_there

almost_there Member

Applying to do what kind of volunteering exactly?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.