1. Posts in the subject areas are now being moderated. Please do not post any details about your exam for at least 3 working days. You may not see your post appear for a day or two. See the 'Forum help' thread entitled 'Using forums during exam period' for further information. Wishing you the best of luck with your exams.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential claims against the UK profession(s)

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by whistleblower21, Jun 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Null

Null Member

I wouldn’t volunteer for an organisation which is a proven discriminatory. The IFOA Equality and Diversity policy wouldn’t apply to you and you also have the additional burden to comply with the Actuaries Code even though your co workers don’t have to. You’ll find that you’ll be bound report your fellow accountants and lawyers as they are not behaving in the most professional way...

almost_there likes this.
  2. Tarbuck

Tarbuck Member

We're going off topic! Back to the original question, whistleblower I think you also forgot to mention they discriminate against species. How are bees supposed to sit these exams? They would never have time to with all of thei honey making. ANd how would they hold a pen for the exam?

ProudActuary likes this.
  3. Null

Null Member

It’s not off topic. My post says that I wouldn’t volunteer for the IFoA as they are likely not to treat their volunteers with any dignity or respect.

almost_there likes this.
  4. almost_there

almost_there Member

I think showing IFoA a flaw or unfairness in something they do is a form of volunteering. It's giving up one's time to assist the profession. The profession would be in a better place by fixing such matters. Sadly IFoA is hostile to this.

5. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

This would not appear to be the case from reading the IFoA website.

6. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

I think you forgot to mention that they could be species gender discriminating too.

7. almost_there

almost_there Member

Are you suggesting that the ability to hold a pen is a competence standard of IFoA?

8. Null

Null Member

I love how you’re trying to make a joke of this. You’re insulting our intelligence and the judge that made the judgment

9. almost_there

almost_there Member

Proud's opinions are shot to pieces by the reality of Indian actuaries joining both IFoA and IAI and deploying strategies to accelerate their qualification, not put off by IFoA exam attempts costing them 2.5 times more. I think the Indian actuaries are being clever and that Proud is being disingenuous in his attempts to trivialise this matter.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2019
  10. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Has a judge made a judgment on gender discrimination? Please post a link to this if so.

Cue the default "ask the IFoA" response.

11. almost_there

almost_there Member

Proud, the story is now in the Daily Mail online. IFoA always wanted to go global...

12. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

That's great news - well done to the claimant! :)

13. almost_there

almost_there Member

You previously mocked the appeal of this story, didn't you mr proud... well it can no longer be suppressed even if IFoA don't want to tell their own members what's happened.

14. Null

Null Member

I’m looking forward to the Actuary Magazine article. They seem to be a little behind the the times. Rather like the IFOA

15. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

I'd disagree, I think the 2019 exam changes to reduce the number of subjects and include the use of excel and R are really positive changes to modernise the syllabus.

16. Null

Null Member

We’ve been through this. It’s a reduction of subjects but an increase in exams. There are now 17 exams as opposed to 15. Which part is so difficult to understand

17. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

You said that you thought the IFoA was behind the times. I'm merely giving one example of where they have made a change to modernise things.

It appears as if you criticise the IFoA for being out of touch but then also criticise when changes are made.

18. studier

studier Member

I can't believe that I am getting involved in this but why is the CM and CS subjects having 2 papers any different to CA1 and CA2?

For the record I support the introduction of Excel and R exams but am against the combining of the CTs.

Calm and ProudActuary like this.
  19. chenbod

chenbod Member

It is shocking. I am ashamed of being associated with the IFoA.
    I am going to investigate this matter further. Those responsible must go.

20. almost_there

almost_there Member

Cover should be saying in large font "Sorry". They were happy enough to spend members' money to pursue an expensive, failed defence of no merit, playing every trick possible to stop the claim succeeding. Not keen however to be accountable to members on that spending or indeed the shocking facts found by the Tribunal. Never mind, actuaries have now found out in the Daily Mail.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2019
  21. Null

Null Member

This is unbelievable. I sorry but I can’t believe I have to explain this. I’m not comparing to CA1. There are now 17 exams count them yourself. There are more exams than before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.