Judgment Day

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Infinity, Feb 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. almost_there

almost_there Member

It's not about watching others, it's about being deprived of the same opportunity due to British nationality, courtesy of IFoA's conduct.

2. Jimmy white

Jimmy white Member

Now you're taking separate points and merging them.
    1. If the exams are ruining a person's life it's not because Indian students can sit them four times a year. It's because they're not passing them yourself for whatever reason and they should wise up and move on.
    2. If somebody is truly disgusted at the conduct of the IFoA and actually thinks the organisation is inherently racists then they should leave it if they have the courage of their convictions and stand on principles.
    3. The IFoA legal violation has not had a massive impact on UK students because the Indian guys should not have had their 4 chances a year, rather than it being the case that the UK students should have had four chances a year. The Uk students and Indian students should have two chances, just like everyone else. So UK people weren't disadvantaged, the Indian student were advantaged. There's a difference and people should cut out the hard done by stories and stop exaggerating their suffering caused by knowing that the Indian students have this advantage.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2019
    kd3010 likes this.
  3. Jimmy white

Jimmy white Member

I think it's somewhat insulting and unprofessional to be implying that I don't understand the concept of zero.

If somebody is not good enough to pass, then they're not good enough to pass. As an actuary surely you understand the concept of materiality? Zero versus a very small chance are not materially different from one another, particularly in respect of lost revenue calculations from a measly missing notch on a student study package pay scale.

4. Jimmy white

Jimmy white Member

Deprived of an opportunity nobody should have been given.

Do you actually believe that the employees of the IFoA are racists? Or did they allow a practice to take place which discriminated on the grounds of nationality without realising the legal discriminatory law implications of it? I must say I find it hard to believe that there has been some sort of secretive conspiracy amongst IFoA employees to only hire racist people, most of them racist against their own race!

kd3010 likes this.
  5. Null

Null Member

So this begs the question - what is the point of the IFoA?

Lapsed_Student, Calm and almost_there like this.
  6. almost_there

almost_there Member

Jimmy's attempts to reframe and diminish the Court's findings are rather poor. What motivates him to do this?

7. almost_there

almost_there Member

Jimmy you are very inconsistent. Just accept you cannot square this circle. There's no spin that makes that Judgment smell rosy for the IFoA. People aren't stupid.

8. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Given the posts are becoming rather repetitive, and the time spent on here is probably not doing anyone any good, we suggest this thread takes another break. When something new to discuss materialises, then we will happily reopen.

now reopen given a new development.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  9. Null

Null Member

Has anyone read the FT article? Funny how there’s nothing in the Actuary Mag...

almost_there likes this.
  10. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

It says in the FT article that the IFoA can't comment for legal reasons. Seems logical given another hearing is coming up.

I wonder how the panel will determine compensation. More opportunities to sit an exam wouldn't necessarily mean the claimant would have passed the exams in any case.

Calm likes this.
  11. almost_there

almost_there Member

I don't find that respectable. They've been done for discrimination. They should apologise and make amends, not continue to hide behind lawyers. Members shouldn't pay a penny more to cover this up.

Null likes this.
  12. almost_there

almost_there Member

13. Null

Null Member

What is the “small” new development? That a international newspaper widely read by senior business executives and politicians around the world has picked this case up and will not have a dim view of the IFoA?

almost_there likes this.
  14. Null

Null Member

The IFOA could respond to the Article. If it’s published in the media it can’t be that they aren’t allowed to talk about it. They could make a statement in their Actuary magazine Or on twitter or Facebook.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2019
    almost_there likes this.
  15. almost_there

almost_there Member

I wonder why they won't say we're sorry and ashamed of this Judgment. We will put right the discriminatory arrangements as a matter of urgency.

Null likes this.
  16. Null

Null Member

I keep commenting and my posts keep getting deleted. The post above seems to be begging for an answer...

17. almost_there

almost_there Member

IFoA clearly believe heavily in their own spin. When will any actuaries from their farcical Council finally have the courage to call bs on this and make some big changes.

18. rskk0702

rskk0702 Member

I don't find their university exemption program fair too. I wonder seeing the number of universities on IFOA's website that why I spent years writing exams from IFoA when I could do masters and get exemptions.

US's Actuarial society (SOA) does not give exemptions through any of the university programs. If IFOA will keep adding universities like this, I fear losing importance in the global market.

Calm and almost_there like this.
  19. Ace123

Ace123 Member

What changes do you actually want?

20. Ace123

Ace123 Member

I would also like to point out the discrimination case involving the bakery in Northern Ireland - multiple courts found that their behavior mounted to discrimination - yet the owners of the bakery continued to appeal it, as was their right, and they were vindicated when the highest court in the UK found that they did not discriminate. What is stopping the IFoA from appealing the decision for instance?

21. almost_there

almost_there Member

Ace123, members should oppose any more money spent on this by IFoA at the Courts. They had every opportunity to sort this out for many years. They should sort out their arrangements and put an end to unfairness and discrimination. Every man and his dog know this situation stinks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.