Judgment Day

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Infinity, Feb 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Newspaper reports a news story - hardly earth shattering!

2. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

If an individual or body feels that a point of law has been incorrectly applied then they are perfectly entitled to appeal that judgment. It's wrong to suggest that an organisation shouldn't be able to launch a defence.

Indeed, if the appeal fails then the adverse judgment has even more of a negative impact as there'll likely be additional news coverage and such like.

3. almost_there

almost_there Member

All this bad publicity the IFoA could have avoided by taking correct steps to eliminate the discrimination when it was brought to their attention. This matter didn't need to go to Court at all. They've spent all this money trying to fight it in Court rather than fixing the problem. People running IFoA have handled this entire situation appallingly.

Null likes this.
  4. almost_there

almost_there Member

It's very clear Proud "Actuary" wants the current discriminatory arrangements to continue. Business as usual. Members shouldn't fund an appeal to try and save the jobs and reputation of the IFoA bosses who have brought the profession into such disrepute.

Null likes this.
  5. Null

Null Member

In this case, Indian people get 4 chances to pass exams, British people get 2. What is so difficult to understand? 2 does not equal 4 as you seem to struggle with too. Why was the claim even defended? Members should be asking questions on how much of their money was flushed down the drain on this exercise

almost_there likes this.
  6. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

What's the use of speech marks all about? Are you suggesting people should be sacked without the opportunity to defend themselves? That seems discriminatory and unfair to me.

7. Null

Null Member

This claim is next to be heard. If you would like to join, please get in touch by private message

8. Null

Null Member

This is repetition. I’ve heard it all before. Why has Acted not banned this person and deleted this post?

9. almost_there

almost_there Member

ProudActuary - IFoA had the opportunity to defend themselves in Court. They lost. Their Chief Executive could have put himself forward as a witness but didn't. Nor did their Director of Education. They couldn't find a single actuary prepared to testify in their favour. Go and find out how much IFoA spent on this failed defence please.

Null and whistleblower21 like this.
  10. Null

Null Member

What is discriminatory about it? Did almost there say they should be sacked because they were British nationals?

almost_there likes this.
  11. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Are you being serious?

12. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

How much could this cost? You've previously made mention of the personal expense without giving any figures. People should be fully informed before you encourage them to take court action... which is extreme rather than a standard "go to" to solve a problem or issue.

13. almost_there

almost_there Member

IFoA shouldn't be run in such a manner such that complaints have to go to Court. You appear to disagree.

Null likes this.
  14. Null

Null Member

I’m not here to provide legal advice. You?

almost_there likes this.
  15. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

My last comment is the anithesis of this. You seem to suggest that any "wrong" should be escalated to court action straight away. Pretty sure the IFoA has a complaints process, perhaps try that as a starting point!

16. almost_there

almost_there Member

No one has done that. No it's not in the remit of their complaints process. Imagine if everyone in society had that attitude "if you don't like it, leave or take us to Court".

Null likes this.
  17. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Where did I suggest you leave? I said there's a complaints process that you could follow rather than advising everyone and their dog to take the IFoA to court any time they have a grievance.

18. almost_there

almost_there Member

There isn't one for member complaints about discrimination. Go and ask Mr Cribb why not.

Null likes this.
  19. The thing stopping the IFOA from appealing the decision is that they can only appeal on a point of law. i.e where there is an error in law.
    They cannot appeal based on feelings. Moreover, they cannot appeal on the grounds that they believe that they should have the right to unlawfully discriminate. Keep in mind, that the court didn't just find in the victims favour for direct and indirect discrimination, they also found that the IFOA instructed and aided another body to discriminate against the victim and others because they were British nationals. That is an impossible hurdle to jump over on appeal.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2019
    almost_there and Null like this.
  20. Null

Null Member

How can it be that judgment day is not a hot thread? After Actuarial sheep it’s the best one out there...

Calm and almost_there like this.
  21. almost_there

almost_there Member

Even if some technical appeal point exists that could succeed, which I seriously doubt, not least as hardly no appeals succeed, the facts found by the Tribunal about IFoA's conduct are absolutely scandalous. They would not be exonerated whatsoever. They did nothing to address the situation for many years. All of this conduct carried out with your money, in your name, actuaries... it's nothing to be proud of, proudactuary.

Null likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.