With-profits BEL

Discussion in 'SA2' started by Mbotha, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Mbotha

Mbotha Member

I'm hoping to check my understanding of this and to fill in a few gaps:

Total BEL = PV (Benefits + Expenses - Premiums)
    Benefits
    These include both those guaranteed to date and future discretionary benefits.
    This is calculated as:
    max(smoothed AS, guaranteed benefits at time of claim)
    = smoothed AS + cost of guarantee
    = smoothed AS + max(0 , guaranteed benefit - smoothed AS)
    = (a) + (b)​
    So, in practice:
    (a) Project the smoothed AS using expected future premiums, expenses (or charges, depending on how the AS is calculated) and the risk-free rate as the investment return
    • Does this need to be done stochastically (with investment return as the stochastic variable)?
    • Is this called smoothed AS because it is projected using expected investment returns (i.e. expected risk-free rate)? I would expect the comparison to be against unsmoothed AS, since smoothed AS may be higher than unsmoothed - in which case we'd be underestimating the cost..?
    (b) Use a stochastic model which includes the projection in (a) and which also projects the guaranteed benefit as the current guaranteed benefit accumulating at future RB rates. The future RB rate would be an assumption (perhaps initially set to equal the current RB rate) set dynamically (i.e. linked to the risk-free rate so that it increases when the risk-free rate increases, and vice versa)
    • In this case, the smoothed AS is modelled stochastically: it's calibrated so that the expected investment return is the risk-free return, with the distribution of returns around this mean set so as to mirror those of the underlying assets. Is that right

BEL for guaranteed benefits = PV (Benefits + Expenses - Premiums)
    Benefits
    Here we are only modelling those benefits guaranteed to date but the calculation is similar except:
    (a) Smoothed AS is projected by taking the AS at the valuation date and projecting it using expect investment returns (risk-free) only - i.e. future premiums are not modelled (although future expenses relating to renewal and investment costs would be)
    (b) The guaranteed benefit is known and so doesn't need to be modelled assuming future RB rates. I'm a little stuck on the rest of this calculation...?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2017
  2. Lindsay Smitherman

Lindsay Smitherman ActEd Tutor Staff Member

A few things to think about here. Let's consider the Total BEL first.

Rather than thinking about (a) + (b) separately, I would encourage you to think about them together: the model needs to project what max{guaranteed benefit, smoothed asset share} is at the point at which a claim is being modelled, because this represents the amount of benefit payable. This then needs to be discounted back to the valuation date (and then, together with the PV of future expenses less premiums, forms the BEL).

The model that is needed has to be stochastic: you are correct that you need to project future RB rates to determine the guaranteed benefit at claim payment date. As you say, these RB rates may vary between simulations, depending on the rules used by the company for setting RB rates in practice. The projected asset share also needs to be projected stochastically. This is because you won't otherwise be allowing for scenarios under which asset values fall (or investment returns are very poor) and the asset share falls below the guaranteed benefit.

The model would then compare smoothed projected asset share and the guaranteed benefit, and the payout assumed to be made to the policyholder would be the higher of the two. (In practice models may project terminal bonus tables explicitly, but it comes down to being broadly the same thing.) This higher amount is then discounted as being the "benefits" part of the total BEL.

The calculation uses smoothed asset share rather than unsmoothed because this is what the payout will be based on. If investment returns are being smoothed upwards, the benefit liability is higher. If investment returns are being smoothed downwards, then the benefit liability is lower. In both cases, this reflects what the company expects to pay out. [I am not sure why you have said that if smoothed AS is higher than unsmoothed AS then using smoothed AS would under-estimate the liability?]

3. Lindsay Smitherman

And now considering the BEL for guaranteed benefits only:

There is again no need to split up (a) and (b) separately, and indeed you don't need to project the asset share at all. This part of the BEL is only in relation to the guaranteed benefits, and what has accrued to date as a guarantee is a known amount, say £X. The £X just needs to be discounted back from when it is expected to be paid out.

4. Lindsay Smitherman

In terms of thinking about the total BEL in terms of (a) and (b), as you have defined them above, it may be that you are getting the projection approach confused with the following approximation:

Total BEL (for a WP contract) is approximately equal to: current smoothed asset share + cost of guarantees (present value of the time value of the excess cost of guarantee payments over asset share). [There may also be a cost of smoothing element.]

This can be a helpful way of thinking about the total BEL for a WP contract if, for example, you are asked about how the Solvency II balance sheet might be affected by an event such as an equity market movement.

However, in terms of the model calculation itself I think that by trying to split it down into (a) and (b) you have unnecessarily complicated it and ended up confusing things.

Just think about needing to value the expected payout (and how this is defined for WP business, ie basically as the higher of guarantee and smoothed asset share) as the "benefit" part of the BEL calculation, and remember that it also needs to be split for presentational purposes into the guaranteed and discretionary components (which are not the same as your (a) and (b) split].

5. Mbotha

Mbotha Member

Just to confirm, the asset share would be projected stochastically (i.e. Investment return is the stochastic variable) but the assumed future RB rate is just a dynamic variable? ie it's not a case of having a stochastic model within a stochastic model? Each simulation would have a different projected "value" of AS (based on a random sample from the distribution function of the investment return) and the RB rate for a particular simulation would be dependent on, say, investment return in that simulation?

I may need some clarity on this point, if you don't mind. :) Where is the allowance for TB if we don't model it explicitly (and how would we be able to assess the impact on the BEL of changing TB rates between valuations)? And if it is allowed for explicitly, how does this change what is being compared in the model (smoothed AS vs gauranteed benefit)?

Thank you. This makes sense now. I was thinking of the cost of guarantee ito the loss that would be made if the company pays out an amount (guaranteed benefit) higher than what is actually available (unsmoothed AS)...rather than relative to the benefit that the company expects to pay out (smoothed AS). I wasn't thinking ito liabilities (silly! :) ).

You're right - I was confusing the two. Thank you for clarifying.

Thanks, Lindsay. This has helped a lot.

6. Lindsay Smitherman

Yes - that's correct :)

7. Lindsay Smitherman

Yes you are correct: terminal bonus has to be modelled either way. What I was referring to was the modelling of terminal bonus tables explicitly. Some models will be based on the projection of asset share for each policy, and the terminal bonus assumed to be given to each policy at claim is then just the excess (if any) of this projected asset share (allowing for smoothing) over the guaranteed benefit at that time. More sophisticated models generate sets of terminal bonus rate tables that would apply for each simulation and projection period. This will take into account the approach taken by the company in practice to setting terminal bonus rates, eg based on specimen policies, perhaps applying smoothing rules to the bonus rates rather than to investment returns etc.

Under the former approach, modelled benefit payout = max {smoothed asset share, guaranteed benefit}. Under the latter approach, modelled benefit payout = guaranteed benefit + modelled terminal bonus rate. The approaches are broadly equivalent; the latter allows for smoothing across policies and for the approximations that apply in reality (for practical reasons) in terms of applying the same terminal bonus rate across a group of policies, rather than having a separate rate for each individual claim.

Hope that helps.

8. Mbotha

Mbotha Member

So, if TB rates are changed between valuation dates, how does this impact come through in the BEL calculated at the next valuation date? My thinking is: since TB rates would be changed if there is a significant change in investment conditions, the AS simulations would reflect this and so the TB would naturally come through. Is that right?

Am I right in saying that, even though there's no explicit smoothed AS comparison here, the smoothed AS would still need to be modelled because the value of guaranteed benefit depends on it (e.g. RB rate used to project the guaranteed benefit could be dynamically linked to it)?

Sorry for all the questions but thanks so much for your input!!

9. Lindsay Smitherman

Yes!

Yes possibly: but dynamic RB rates might well be linked in the model to investment returns rather than to asset shares. The modelled TB rates will depend on projected asset shares (and smoothing).

10. Mbotha

Mbotha Member

Oh, of course! Thank you!

11. prachi

prachi Active Member

I understand that the future projections are based on realistic assumptions. But could you confirm what will the the discount rate? Would it be risk free rate or expected rate of investment returns?

12. Lindsay Smitherman

For a BEL calculation, both the expected investment return in the projections and the discount rate must be risk-free. (If the projection of investment returns is done stochastically, then the scenario generator would be calibrated to give the risk-free rate as the mean outcome.)

13. Arush

Arush Very Active Member

Can you please explain with an example, how Asset Share + CoGs relates to the BEL for WP? The explanations above are helpful but I don't follow them fully.

14. Arush

Arush Very Active Member

Sep 2022. Q2 ii) Why is it mentioned that current asset share represents the discretionary claim value?

The current asset share would only include the bonuses which have been declared and not the ones planned to be declared in future, isn't it? So how is it representing the discretionary value?

15. MindFull

MindFull Ton up Member

The current asset share is a separate thing from the guarantees that have been declared on a policy. The forum has lots of posts about asset shares vs guarantees. A search should help.

16. Lindsay Smitherman

Arush likes this.