What did you think of CT9?

Discussion in 'CT9' started by Little Miss Actuary, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Dha

Dha Member

I have to say I don't think I got a whole lot out of the business game. Some of the other people on my team were taking it all way too seriously.
    I though the talk on the actuarial profession could have been a bit more detailed. Overall, I enjoyed it though.

2. Greg

Greg Member

Overall I quite liked it yes.
    Obviously some of it I found more useful than other bits but then that's natural.

the business games should have been good. But somehow I was a bit disappointed. We started off following all the rules from the strategic thinking (ie pick a small market others may neglect but with potential profitability etc). And failed miserably. So we resorted (in turns 3 and 4) to just putting tonnes of 5s everywhere and charging the lowest prices possible. And we went from 6th to 2nd in a year! We were in group A - apparently the winning team in group B (no disrespect to them and what i've heard may not even be true) basically just put 5s almost everywhere and cheap prices and related priorities and won by a mile. Somehow that doesnt seem very realistic - ie just go out all out crazy on all prodects and all markets and you'll do well - seems a bit dodgy.

The case studies were quite good and the professionalism was fairly useful. Like you though arguably the best thing was simply to get to know a lot of ppl in similar positions etc.

Also its a shame we cant do the test immediately while its in our heads....rather than wait 2 weeks - by which point I may (possibly!) have replaced the info with the beginnings of CT8...

Were you in group A or B little Miss and DHA? I hardly met anyone in B...

Had so much work in the office to come back to today though. :(

3. Hi Greg, I was in group B so didn't see you much, but I worked out who you were in the first session when you were asked to stand up for some question or other.

I was in the winning team for the bussiness game in group B and I think you must have got your info from some bitter people ;) We didn't just put lots of 5's and cheap prices :p How dare you! :p There was actually some good stategy going on and we reacted to what other teams did (plus there was a bit of luck!). Are we allowed to dicuss it here though considering people will be doing it again in the future? :confused:

4. Greg

Greg Member

possibly not no! Not that I imagine people would get that much info from reading this as they probably wouldnt really know what we were talking about!

Yes of course - I did get picked on quite early didn't I? :p oh well it's all fun! I'm sure you got picked on at some point!

Oh well, that's that over (except for the post course test). Onto CT8 and communications now... :-( was going to start looking at CT8 this morning but then I didnt get up till 11 and had to be out by half 12. Hmm...I suppose i could do some now...

5. M1ke

M1ke Member

Hey guys,

Little Miss, I am glad you put Greg straight that we didnt just put all 5's!! I was about to and then read your reply...a lot of thought and planning went into those decisions....fashionable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought the 2 days were good overall...I thought people were very negative at the end in the final session which was disappointing. A few things could have been improved but generally a better 2 days than I had expected.

Go RAFF!! lol

6. Yeah, I also felt there was a lot of negativity in the last session. Hopefully the feedback forms will show that people enjoyed the course overall though :rolleyes: I think it is good people pointed out things to improve the course in the future, but it did mean we left on quite a negative note which was a shame.

7. Dha

Dha Member

The business game took about half the course though, which I didn't really like. I didn't learn a whole lot from it. Like I said, I'd prefer if some of the talks were more detailed, and more interactive. Overall, I don't really feel like the course made me a better actuary, or is an important part of my qualification.

8. Greg

Greg Member

I think during the final session etc there was negativity but in that typical way where it is much easier to criticise than to praise. That's sort of typical really but i dont think its a problem - there were things that perhasps could have been improved but yes overall it was fairly good. It's difficult to really say whther it will make me a "better actuary" as such - but its certainly not something that can do any harm and for something that doesnt take a huge amount of effort (2 days off work, maybe 10 hours study before, 5 or 6 after then a test - compared to other subjects...) it probably is quite worthwhile.

I was fairly positive in my feedback form anyhow.
    G

p.s. sorry Mike and Little Miss....I definitely wasnt having a go at your team in any way! I was in group A so had no idea what went on in group B...that was just what I had heard. Possibly from bitter people who came 6th! :p) Though I do still think there were some flaws in the way the game worked...