Self study or coaching.

Discussion in 'India' started by naman90, Nov 28, 2013.

1. naman90

naman90 Member

Please help I am new in this field.
    I have passed ACET in June this year and looking forward to give CT 1 and CT 3
    So I need guidance that shall i do self study or join coaching institutes.

2. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Obviously it's very helpful to have coaching (our data shows 32% CT pass rate just with notes and 63% pass rate with our coaching).

We offer the pre-recorded online classroom for our Indian students (samples available here) for £75 which includes tutor support via a dedicated forum.

We also offer some subjects live online (a live webcast). For details see here.

3. Sanjay

Sanjay Member

I'm terribly sorry for intruding on Naman's post but when you say "63% pass rate with our coaching" do you mean regular tutorials or online tutorials? Are online classes really effective when compared to regular?
    I'm considering opting for online tutorials for CT 1( it's pretty much the only option I have :D ). Sir,I would be grateful if you could help me out with this.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,
    Sanjay

4. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

If you're considering acted's online coaching vs some random Indian coaching center, I'd definitely vouch for the quality of the former...and at 75 pounds, you can't go much wrong really. Plus, its by people who are qualified and are in the actuarial education industry full time.

FYI, I've personally seen a guy who's just passed CT2 (and failed CT 1 and 3 twice) advertise for ST series coaching in India at Rs.15k...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  5. Sanjay

Sanjay Member

Personal coaching is definitely out, given that we don't know the credibility of the tutors.I totally agree with you on the "nothing can go wrong " part when it comes to Acted classes.Thanks a lot.It really helped.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2013
  6. Sanjay

Sanjay Member

Hey Naman,if you come across subjects that you are familiar with(for ex: CT 2, 3 and 7), then I guess you don't require tutorials. Considering that we are venturing into the unknown when it comes to the other subjects, then I'd think it would be wise to sign up for online classes. So that way Mr Lee and Oxymoron are right.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2013
  7. naman90

naman90 Member

i am quite confident of my mathematics so i think that i will do self study and see how it goes.

8. naman90

naman90 Member

By the way anyone from delhi?

9. John Lee

No problem Sanjay. The figures are for all types of tutorials - I confess I haven't split them down by type. I would naturally expect regular tutorials to be superior as you have a tutor giving you immediate feedback on your questions you attempt in the tutorial. But at the moment we don't offer face to face tutorials in India.

10. Sanjay

Sanjay Member

Thank you Sir. But are all concepts covered in the material, explained in the CT 1 tutorials?

11. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Yes the Online Classroom is comprehensive and covers pretty much everything on the syllabus in CT1. However, we recommend that you still read the course first - and then use the tuition to build on your reading and clarify anything you don't understand. And then practise lots and lots of questions.

However, we're all different and some students use the Online Classroom in other ways. We don't really mind - as long as you find it useful and pass!!

We're also offering some Live Online Tutorials in CT1 this session. More details about these at http://www.acted.co.uk/Html/online_classroom_live.htm.

And lots of demos of the Online Classroom (pre-recorded version) at http://www.acted.co.uk/Html/online_classroom.htm.

12. Sanjay

Sanjay Member

Thank you. I have watched a few demos, and I must say, I thoroughly enjoyed the CT 5 one.

13. sarthak goel

sarthak goel Member

delhi aspirant actuarial students

hi.. der, i m sarthak and i m from delhi . infact i have similar situation like u .
    i have also cleared acet in july and given ct1 and ct3 , (finger crossed) .
    my email id is sarthak.goel66@gmail.com. (if u like to communicate), we could possibly help each othr.:) :)

14. skhurana

skhurana Member

Hi,

I have done the online tutorial for CT3,5 and 6 and passed all of them in first go and will definatley recommend those. Although this might not work for all but I didnt even touch the course notes. Online tutorial and ASET was more than enough to prepare.

And acted tutor support is also very good.

Thanks

Sarika

15. John Lee

Glad you found them helpful Sarika.

Not sure I would recommend not looking at the notes though ;)

16. I found the classroom very useful

I have used CT3 online classroom for October 2013 diet. The concepts are explained very well in the tutorial and the pace is just fine for a beginner in statistics. I passed the examination and I should thank ActEd for the initiative.

17. John Lee

I'm so pleased that you found them helpful and got that pass. That makes my day :)