Results September 2018

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Aeroactuary, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Infinity

Infinity Member

do you have CT6?

2. GemmaHayes

GemmaHayes Member

Yep but doesn't detract from the IFOA set up which is ludicrous. It could have gone the other way just as easily

Harashima Senju likes this.
  3. almost_there

almost_there Member

Follow the money...

Infinity likes this.
  4. Infinity

Infinity Member

But we’ll done. You’re lucky to get through

5. GemmaHayes

GemmaHayes Member

yep. I genuinely feel that way rather than smarter or that I know the course better. ifoa are a farce but I need to complete exams at this stage. I wonder what the drop out rate will be for older students as they seem to be bearing the brunt of the ill thought out schemes

Infinity and almost_there like this.
  6. almost_there

almost_there Member

Goes to show how shocking the supposed 'oversight' from FRC is of IFoA that they've been allowed to introduce such a botched new education system adversely affecting thousands. Complain here (even though closing date has been) FRCReview@beis.gov.uk

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2018
    Infinity likes this.
  7. Infinity

Infinity Member

Yes we’re stuck in the system. The ifoa said I should just give up and find a new career. That’s their support network

8. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

I remember reading that IFOA will be changing the exam system, nobody will be disadvantaged and exams will map very clearly and fairly - something along those lines. Next, I hear a heck of a lot of students are complaining of loosing exam passes and being delayed with their qualifications. Did IFOA make a formal explanation of this mess at any point?

Harashima Senju and Infinity like this.
  9. almost_there

almost_there Member

I've not seen any. From what I've seen this is how it works:
    Small mess = apology. Medium mess = spin doctors / lawyers / wordsmiths "reassuring" us all. Big mess = silence.

Infinity likes this.
  10. Infinity

Infinity Member

No. They still think the transition arrangements are equitable. They’ve gone from saying that no students will be disadvantaged to the average student to we just don’t care. They don’t even understand their own exam system. From the number of failures which is about 5000, 3900 were in the affected CT exams so I think there is a minimum of 2500 students who will have at least one extra exam if not more. I will let you know when I get the exact numbers from the ifoa. They are attempting to hide these numbers from us at the moment.

11. Infinity

Infinity Member

12. student1990

student1990 Member

Don't forget to factor in the fact that an extra paper doesn't necessarily mean an extra exam; and the content of some subjects is becoming easier on average so might become easier to pass; and some people who fail probably wouldn't have sat another paper ever again; and some might have just failed the old exam a few more times without any change and so not end up in a different position in a few years' time; and that those who have combinations of subjects left might end up up with fewer papers than previously. Should all be easy enough to model. Might bring it down to under 1,000. Might not. Good luck

13. Infinity

Infinity Member

Like I said it’s a minimum. Even if it’s 1,000 that’s still more than a quarter of students. Far from the ifoa promise before the introduction to ensure that no one will be disadvantaged. The new exams are not much different to the old ones. It’s the same material with a few bells and whistles and jiggled around for no reason whatsoever. It’s not about the difficulty the exams are not hard, it’s just putting in the time and wasting your life to take them for absolutely nothing as you don’t really learn anything you didn’t know already do you!?

14. almost_there

almost_there Member

By continuing to insist such a thing insults our intelligence. There's no use IFoA insisting actuaries are highly respected professionals then try and fob us off with unsubstantiated rubbish like this. If not disadvantaging current students is important then build the new system on that basis. These lawyers / spin doctors / whoever it is at the IFoA who are insisting such things should be reminded that one of the skills actuaries have is to make such assessments of what's equitable. Properly done it's allowing the data to lead to the conclusion, not the other way round. So you want to improve say the efficiency/speed of code in your actuarial model then what do you do - you test that the two models still come out with the same value before changing over and getting new version signed off. You don't accept the new code until it does. You don't tell your boss oh this code is way better- who cares the result is materially out, and expect auditors, regulators and so on would think that's OK down the line. Aren't actuaries under more and more of an obligation to document all that we do, yet our professional body can't show us their working when they've constructed their new system or made a mutual recognition agreement deal. Even worse, when they are found out they don't adjust or compensate but continue to make their discredited claims.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2018
  15. jamesysilber

jamesysilber Keen member

16. Pranjal Bhatt

Pranjal Bhatt Member

17. Pranjal Bhatt

Pranjal Bhatt Member

I would like to ask you guys one thing more. I just found out that I didn't pass my CT-2 exam and I'm extremely dissatisfied with the result. Can something be done now ? any kind of action that can be taken ?

jamesysilber likes this.
  18. jamesysilber

jamesysilber Keen member

I doubt it. Luckily for you CT2 maps directly to CB1 in the new foundation program. Therefore, the exams should be very similar, but there are some elements from textbooks that you can purchase to study for them.

19. almost_there

almost_there Member

There is an exam appeal process but check their website on this as there's probably strict time limits and a fee. Also do ask for a breakdown of your marks remembering as per a "subject access request" they have 30 days to provide this.

20. wzlee12

wzlee12 Member

I passed my CT4 on my 2nd try, CT5 on my 3rd try and CT8 on my 2nd try! I have officially exempted and passed all 8 CTs. :)

I have been through a lot for the past year. Isolating myself at home after graduation since May last year due to afraid of not being able to complete the exam.....>< But either way I am really grateful!

student1990 and Calm like this.
  21. Harashima Senju

Harashima Senju Ton up Member

Yes I passed. It's a huge number of rewrites. The IFOA handled the syllabus change terribly.

Dom B and almost_there like this.