Help on good revision and getting ready!

Discussion in 'CT8' started by Edwin, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Edwin

Edwin Member

I've completed the notes and practised all 109 and 103 questions for Ct8 and I'm currentls sitting CT8 past papers (2004-2011) under exam conditions 7 days apart. I'm hoping that I can get some tips on how to improve my preparation for the final exam. I also intend to start using Acted resources form next year, which ones are a must have e.g ASET, revison notes, flashcars etc??

Most importantly what do you think is the best way to do well in the exam?What works, what doesn't work? What should I look out for?

Hope it isn't in bad light to be asking a lot of questions as this is the only place where I can get help.

2. bystander

bystander Member

You'll be well ahead of the field.

My tip is get something marked so you have feedback and independent marking. Eg ActEd offer a marked mock.

But what else you need is a very subjective qn.

Reflect on what you find more difficult and go over those bits.

In the exam, don't panic and pace yourself. You don't want to run out of time, but youir exam condition practise will stand you in good stead there.

Honestly, you are doing all the right things already.

3. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Ton up Member

I believe studying the ST6 material has put you well ahead of the curve already. I got sort of bored in the last few weeks prior to the exam, and this complacency cost me a couple of stupid mistakes during the exam. So, it's best to avoid that bit ;)

4. Edwin

Edwin Member

Thanks bystander I was also thinking of getting the assingments marked as well as the mock, especially because I have found it quite unclear how examiner's mark, looking at past Examiner's reports, so it will be very helpful.

Oxymoron, that's exactly what I am afriad of. But I have decided to leave a few papers for the last few days when I study solidly, reviewing evrything and to have a 'target number of marks' to complete say three days before for '300' marks, in order to beat the complacency. It sometimes happens to me, I will guard against it!

St6 was heplful in understanding some of the concepts and providing varied question practise.

5. mattt78

mattt78 Member

Edwin

I noticed you didn't mention tutorials - if you have access to these, I'd suggest they are the best form of study support available from Acted. They should help you fill in any missing gaps in your understanding of the material, work out where best to focus your study, and how best to approach exam questions.

I guess some people will disagree, but i always find them useful, even when I think I already have a good understanding of the material :)

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2011
  6. Edwin

Edwin Member

mattt78 I am in South Africa, how do i get the tutorials??
    Thanks for your suggestion and everyone else as well, this forum is an awesome place!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2011
  7. mattt78

mattt78 Member

Aah, that would make it a bit more difficult! I didn't know you are in SA :cool:
    (Do they have remote i-tutorials or something these days?)

The other resource i'd always recommend is ASET - it really helps understand what examiners are looking for and how they think, so is really worth the investment I think.

8. Edwin

Edwin Member

I'l find out about tutorials for overseas students. I think i'l go for ASET, mock exam marking and tutorials. I've had of online tutorials how do they work?

9. Pede

Pede Member

10. Edwin

Edwin Member

Thank you!

11. Mike Lewry

Mike Lewry Member

12. Edwin

Edwin Member

Thanks Mike, could you also provide the link that has the ASET prices and Mock Exam + Marking (prices). So I can forward to my boss!

13. Mike Lewry

Mike Lewry Member

14. Edwin

Edwin Member

Thank you!

15. Edwin

Edwin Member

Sat two papers already Sep_08 and Sep_05 and performed dismally. I selected them using a random number generator and I had made sure I'v never met the questions before by simplying skipping any exam style questions that said CT8, blahblah....SAD FACE:eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2011
  16. Edwin

Edwin Member

ASET vs Revision notes,got ASET and thinking it's worth my money, does anyone advice me to get both?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2012
  17. bystander

bystander Member

Cheer up. Its what you do on the day that matters and actually it can be helpful to have a relatively poor early past paper attempt as it shows learning points to work on.

Focus on which question(s) you found hardest. Why? Where did you go wrong?
    Did you miss any 'tricks'? Is a particular topic your blindspot? If so revisit that part of the course.

Remember that 2008 and 2005 isn't that recent so are you confident you aren't struggling due to syllabus changes?

Still a while to go. Keep going... you will still be ahead of some having reached the practise stage.