Future Student Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Careers' started by tanjinjack, Apr 28, 2009.

1. tanjinjack

tanjinjack Member

Hey guys,

I just got an email from HW saying that I can get admitted into HW 2nd year programme.

That would make the length of programme the same for all 3 universities that I am considering.
    Nonetheless, it seems it is a bit tough to get scholarship for HW.

So far, the least expensive is being Southampton, at 5,660GBP p.a. for tuition fee.
    Kent is 10k+ but if I get the 5k scholarship, it would be about the same with Southampton.
    HW is 9k+ and without scholarship.

Southampton doesn't offer 'a year in industry' option that allow me to earn my tuition fee for the final year.
    That makes HW more valuable as it seems to me (from the website) that the internship option is non-competitive as long as I found my employer. Kent, meanwhile, is on a competitive basis.

Any thoughts?

2. jeaneu

jeaneu Member

I think it's up to you depending on how you feel about the universities... I personally would choose HW as it looks like their support for year in industry is better... and Edinburgh is a nice City! I suppose it depends on whether you feel you will get extra value for the extra £4k... sorry I can't be of more help, but think it's down to you now...

3. tanjinjack

tanjinjack Member

Usually, what is the salary for students that go for the 1-year internship?

I am quite amazed that HW actually is able to secure exchange programme with Waterloo, Canada and Melbourne, Australia which are both quite reputable for Actuarial Science programme in North and South Hemisphere respectively.
    Do that mean HW simply is better than the others who do not have such partnership?

4. It again varies between companies and location. For instance I did one in Manchester for 16k p.a but on average I would say outside london you can expect to get anywhere between 14k to 18k. And in london it would be plus the london allowance of 3-4k.

I wouldn't use university affiliations to rate them. Also personally I would prefer doing the whole course in one uni. this is mainly because you get used to the place, students and especially lecturers. I think exchange programmes are good for field based subjects e.g. geography but not for actuarial. This is just my personal opinion.

5. tanjinjack

tanjinjack Member

I just found out that UEA, Keele and Kingston also offers Actuarial Science.
    I am not sure if they are exempted or not. It's not listed in their website but in UEA prospectus, it said something like 'may gain up to all 8 exemptions'.

Also, how does UEA compare with Southampton, Heriot-Watt and Kent?

Just a side question, among City, Heriot-Watt and LSE and others, who seems to be providing the best Actuarial course that prepares the students best in taking upcoming exams and careers?

6. irreme

irreme Member

Im with JMW. Politely send them an email, tell them that youre not active in their fundraising and you are receiving too many emaills which are starting to interfere with your work.