FA, should I appeal?

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Imidinho, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Imidinho

Imidinho Member

Hi guys

I would like to know if anyone who got an FA for an exam and sent it for remarking, then passed? As an FA is 95-99% of the the pass mark, if the pass mark is 60, then your mark is between 57 and 59.4 . This seems very close to the pass mark or am I clutching at straws?

All responses will be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Pede

Pede Member

Lots of existing threads covering this predicament - just search the forums and you'll find them.

In a nutshell - yes, you're clutching at straws, as loads get FA. Better off spending money on exam counselling so can at least see where you went wrong.

3. Calum

Calum Member

The short answer is that anything in that category has already been double or triple marked, so an appeal is unlikely to uncover anything new.

That said, I'd be interested to learn what proportion of appeals are succesful.

4. dok87

dok87 Member

If a pass was expected, I would believe that the chances of an FD or FC succeeding an appeal is less remote than an FA (becoming a pass).....the general knowledge is that all borderline marks a double/treble..... reviewed whilst the former may have been just skimmed.

Exam counseling may be better?

5. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Borderline scripts are triple marked - and the last marking is by one of the chief examiners.

6. jollyfakey

jollyfakey Member

I think it is unfair. This is my second FA in CA1. The agony of going through the voluminous study notes and paying that much saddens me.

Actuarial Profession, what have i done wrong?

So all 3 markers didnt see where they would have added 2-3 marks in my script to give me a pass? Even if the marks were for writing my name properly and shading my ARN beautifully.

I would port to ACCA if they fail me again:( :eek:

Retrieva likes this.
  7. Iori_

Iori_ Member

Purchase exam counselling. It's expensive, but will help you.

Alternative is to buy mock exam + marking for your next attempt. That could help you as well.

After exam counselling, I went from FA to pass in the next sitting.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2013
  8. andy orodo

andy orodo Member

I had a similar experience on CA1, the only thing I can advise is to try things a little differently every time. Don't do the same thing that lead you to fail!

As for appealing, it is very tempting given how close an FA is nowadays. I would love to see the discrepancy between the first and second makers of papers because I would imagine that there is a big difference between them but the IFoA would never disclose this.

I would advise against appealing though. In order to win an appeal, the IFoA would have to acknowledge that their
    marking system is human and has flaws. They really don't want to do that so there's a conflict of interest in asking them to admit that there are strong possibilities of a mistake. I'm sceptical about the appeal system and it's lack of independence. In my opinion there's a clear motivation for them to find ways to mark you down, so I wouldn't trust it!

9. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

I completely agree with your feelings here. They may as well not bother offering an appeal option. The charge for appealing is a deterrent too. Must wonder how much investigation is carried out when you appeal before the inevitable "we've rejected your appeal" letter.

10. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

I know of flaws that have been pointed out to the IFoA in how they marked a question or two. The cat was let out of the bag in an exam counselling someone got. The IFoA of course completely rejected the complaint. They would, wouldn't they?

Think about it- if a question was marked wrong, they'd have to remark all the exam papers to add marks to some and remove from others. This would mean turning some passes into fails and some fails into passes. Now, imagine the upheaval of all that BUT if that's the right thing to do then that's what the IFoA should do. But they won't bother. Much easier to sit back ,do nothing and hide behind one liners rejecting your complaint and watch you pay the cheques to sit it once again. Also, of course they couldn't handle losing face. They want to keep this "fellows know best" rubbish going.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2014
  11. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

Is that proven to the students or do we have to take people's word for it... even in exam counselling the IFoA are reluctant to show the script.

12. ryan11

ryan11 Member

I was wondering if people who have benefitted from exam counselling can come forward to advise its merits, I have failed Ca1 and with an FC, although I thought that I wrote well and definitely didnt think I will fail with an FC.

I am still trying to figure out the hardest part after a fail, thats is to find out where I went wrong, all of those who have failed will agree that a candidate analysing their own failure are really blind to what went wrong with their preparation, so I was wondering if Exam counselling will help me.

Note, I didnt do QnA bank, Assignments and enough past papers last time, so if the exam counselling will boil down to these recommendations ( which I am anyways going to do this time), I am better off to save that money and put it to better use like a tutorial or mocks + marking etc.

veterans and beneficiaries of the Counselling (particualrly CA1 counselling) pls advise me.

13. entact

entact Member

Hi

I got exam counselling for CA1 but I live in Ireland so I opted for the report. the report wasn't very helpful; lots of generic comments like "You didn't generate enough points for this question, please refer to the examiner's report for the full range of points". I think if I had met an exam counsellor it would definitely have been worth it so if you are going down this route, I would definitely go with the meeting rather than the report. I would also prepare lots of questions in advance and be very familiar with the paper before you meet the counsellor. I know of people who have gone to the counselling and found it very useful; i think it depends on the counsellor. I did hear one bad report from a friend who paid for the counselling and the actuary was completely unprepared and of little help - this was for CT8 (which personally I think exam counselling is wasted on).

I also appealed an FA before - strongly advise against it. I think the chances of getting a mark overturned is less than 1%.

I would also advise signing up to series x marking with Acted, if you have not already done so.

14. ryan11

ryan11 Member

Thanks for your reply entact, sadly I am not present in UK so definitely counselling is out of question, I am debating if I can avail the Online classroom for CA1 ( and what is the difference between the Online classroom and a tutorial someone who has availed it before) vs getting the Series X and Mocks and marking.

15. tiger

tiger Member

You can also have a follow up phone call, as well as the report, for those who can't travel. You still don't get to see your script.
    I've found this useful for CA2 & (hopefully) CA3, where you don't have an examiners report

16. John Lee

I'm really worried about your responses. Why would I lie to you? What would I gain?

I am in this job to help students to pass and succeed in their careers and I will do everything possible to achieve that aim.

I attend the examiners meetings and I talk to the chief examiners about the process and then pass that onto the students.

Also if you have taken exam counselling then you know that they go through your script with you - if they didn't then you need to make a complaint as that is the whole point and what you pay your money for. If you have not then why would you say that? That would be bizarre as you can go to Oxford and see your script for yourself at any time - why would they then hide it in the counselling session?

I think the issue is that something has happened that has caused you to become bitter and cynical about everything as a way to cope with the events you have experienced. Why don't you talk about that and then we can help you get through it?

17. John Lee

Did you attend a tutorial or purchase the online classroom?

CA1 is a very different exam to all the others. It is not really about regurgitating chunks of bookwork but looking at the question and answering it from there and occasionally bringing in the notes.

CA1 is also about breadth and not depth - so draw points from all over the course rather than just one bit...so "spider- diagrams" or "mindmaps" are really helpful for this.

It's a totally different skill set which needs to be learnt - tutorials are the best way or alternatively getting assignments or a mock marked will give you similar tips and certainly the pass rate analysis we've done for CA1 seems to bear this out.

18. entact

entact Member

John, I don't think your response is very helping implying we are bitter and cynical. The fact is my experience of exam counselling was very poor and did not meet expectations. I did complain but got no response so perhaps the issue is not cynical bitter students rather the process is weak and needs revision.

19. ryan11

ryan11 Member

Ian, I delibrated on what should I order to get the focus right to pass this exam, I feel my lack of practice last time did me in, so I think the Series marking will help me and I am ordering the Essential 5 Series, partly because I am way past the deadlines for half of the Sexies X markings, so the essential 5 seemed a better bargain to me, plus I am doing the QnA bank as well, hopefully I get the answering technique right, because as far as the breadth and general core reading chunks that go into the answer are concerned I have a good self prepared notes for the same which actually brought me whatever marks I got on the exam, by my analysis an FC stands between 60-79% of the pass mark, if pass mark is 50 then I am atleast somewhere like 35, so to get those 15 crucial marks I am doing the assignments marking which will tell me what specific bits and breadth wise misses in my answers are, hopefully the past exam papers and ER also add in learning the right answering techniques.

If you feel something is amiss, pls advise.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2014
  20. John Lee

Sincere apologies if you thought that reply was directed at you!

It was mpyan1 not you.

Apologies that your exam counselling was poor - perhaps a better option to hire a CA1 tutor for an hour and see your exam paper at Oxford...

CA1 is a difficult exam to pass as its more about technique and application than knowledge (I failed my first time due to this).

21. entact

entact Member

Ok, sorry I thought it was directed at my comment. I passed Ca1 on my third go. A Beast of an exam but a great milestone since you get through it. I have St7 and Sa3 left (sept won't be first attempt either!) I agree that some of the comments made by certain people could be more constructive.