Exam Strategies

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Viki2010, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

I don't know about you, but the easy questions I do pretty fast.....the not so obvious and hard I would rather not attempt till the end, as I need to think before I do them....and don't want to waste time thinking in the beginning or in the middle of the exam, if in the meantime I can collect all the points solving the easy problems.....:eek:

2. sonnyshook

sonnyshook Member

People, different people work with different strategies. I respect all strategies if they make you pass....I also want to hear any new ones out there.

However I cannot really add much to the discourse if you have not 'road-tested' all of the strategies I described and you are just using hypotheticals or just misintepreting/misqouting what was said.

3. tiger

tiger Member

Different strategies work for different people.
    Other angles to look at are:
    a) time pressure
    Some of the CT exams definitely have more time pressure than others (I think I found CT5 the worst so far). Hopefully from practice papers you'll have an idea if you'll be under time pressure or not.

b) level of preparedness
    If there are parts of the course one feels less comfortable with, then I think it makes sense to leave those questions to the end. That way (hopefully) you've gotten as much marks as possible from your 'strong' questions, and possible have built up some extra time to spend on the 'hard' questions.

4. Lewin

Lewin Member

Well,id like to call mine the
    Easy
    less Easier
    Hardest

Attempt all questions in the order in which they are presented,skip the hard ones that are taking you round in circles,and come back to them later,this is simple and effective and works wonders.

Why would i want to attempt a hard question before ive cleared the simple easy to answer questions???

5. bystander

bystander Member

The sandwich approach is often the best.

By this I mean do a couple of questions where you are really confident. But remember, if you think they are easy, many will think so too.

So then try a harder one. Don't panic. Read the question as many times as it takes to sink in. Highlight key words or hints that theyt want you to bring out in the answer.

Don't be afraid to start with stating the obvious and build from there. Its these 'harder' quesytions that can really make the difference in pass.fail.

Then leave the 'quick' questions to the end. I'm thinking here of the ones with instructions list - very quick and doesn't need elaboration.

But everyone has their way. There is no right answer.