Coronavirus effect on exams

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Act_SMC, Mar 11, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barabash

barabash Member

Good spot! I have the same in my account..

2. Helloall

Helloall Very Active Member

Great spot Anees.

Fingers crossed its true.

3. Salma

Salma Member

The IFOA website?

4. dimitris13

dimitris13 Member

IF (and it is a big if) this is correct it means practically that we are going to have 2 exam sittings one after another...
    i doubt they will think to push the sep exams 1-2 months later..

5. DM261

DM261 Active Member

I think it would mean there is only one sitting this year.

I wonder if some people will choose to do 3 or 4 exams in this sitting rather than the usual 1 or 2. The IFOA may not be able to expand capacity though.

I'm still really hoping they find a way to let some students sit exams in April/May/June though.

6. Imy

Imy Member

If they are pushed to September what do you think will happen to study allowance for the exam you were supposed to sit? Would it be treated like a resit allowance?

7. barabash

barabash Member

Good question.. Depends on your employer I guess..

PS15 likes this.
  8. Darrell Chainey

Darrell Chainey ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Out of interest - does it say 8 Sept 2020, and did you have a March/April date before that? Just wondering if it's still there from last Sept. :oops: I wouldn't have thought that changing that date on their system would have been a top priority?!?

9. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

Are you in the year 2021?

Has the Coronavirus gone away?

dimitris13 and Darrell Chainey like this.
  10. TurnipKing

TurnipKing Keen member

It says September 2020 specifically

PS15 and Darrell Chainey like this.
  11. Act_SMC

Act_SMC Member

Yes it says 8 September 2020. This had definitely been April 2020 a few weeks ago so it has been changed recently

12. cm16

cm16 Keen member

Yes, it said 23 March previously

shdh, PS15 and Darrell Chainey like this.
  13. Act_SMC

Act_SMC Member

My employer has said they will treat it as a resit with any unused days from this sitting added on. They also said they would "act with compassion" when it came to people not having days left eg. if this was already a resit.

PS15, barabash and cm16 like this.
  14. They may have changed it due the fact that the April exams are not written anymore, therefore we wouldn't need any permits for this sitting. If they went online, we wouldn't need a permit for this.

15. Helloall

Helloall Very Active Member

This is the problem with the Ifoa just delaying their decision when all other bodies gave definitive answers. We are all having to speculate whether they are going ahead or not. Some people have already stopped studying and some others will continue on. It's just been shockingly managed.

I literally emailed the IFoA yesterday asking should we be continuing to study for the exam. My reply was " I cant tell you right now" then a copy and paste of the blurb on the website.

Love how the exam body that is thinking about holding the exams in 3 weeks, cant tell me whether i should be studying or not. Shocking.

Marzipan, PS15, Learn2020 and 5 others like this.
  16. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

I can only assume that the IFoA are trying to decide wha to do with the september exams as well

If exams are pushed to June/July - they can't guarantee they will go ahead, if they do go ahead - what about results/and doing september exams - you could have people on different waves doing exams nearly.

If somonehow they decide to cancel April and just do September - can they have people doing other exams - would their be space for instance? like could you now decide to do the fellowship along with an SP for instance, even though you hadn't planned on doing that with aoril exams

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  17. Studystuff

Studystuff Member

I hope an announcement comes today. Really sick of being in this state of not knowing where we are

18. GOFS03

GOFS03 Keen member

I hope so too but as the time pushes on I am getting less hopeful.

19. Yellow_Tables

Yellow_Tables Member

Latest email from IFOA indicates that a communication can be expected by COB TODAY.

Hold tight gang

Learn2020, Act_SMC and barabash like this.
  20. Act_SMC

Act_SMC Member

Please don't be "we've decided to defer the decision to next week".

dimitris13 likes this.
  21. DM261

DM261 Active Member

I must not be on the same mailing list :confused:

But I'm glad that clarity is imminent.

GOFS03 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.