Coronavirus effect on exams

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Act_SMC, Mar 11, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helloall

Helloall Very Active Member

20200323_224543.jpg Country is in literal lockdown.

Can only leave the house for bare essentials (food, hospital, helping elderly, once a day exercise or funerals if they are an immediate relative ofcourse...).

Grandparents and older parents locked up and need our help as we tend to be younger.

IFoA says "still considering holding exams".

Students say "Go home IFoA, you drunk..."

Last edited: Mar 23, 2020
    AaronD, Podge, Yellow_Tables and 3 others like this.
  2. PS15

PS15 Member

9.21 am - still waiting for an update :(

3. Josie

Josie Member

This is so ridiculous, so insensitive of the IFOA. And mind them, all of us are affected by this, and I hope they do the right thing by coming out today to cancel the exams.
    How do they expect us to have the peace of mind to even relax and study with all that is happening.

Yellow_Tables likes this.
  4. DM261

DM261 Active Member

Announcement now NEXT week

Podge likes this.
  5. Yellow_Tables

Yellow_Tables Member

We now have an update.

The update indicates that we wait next week for another update. :)

How thoughtful

Act_SMC and Podge like this.
  6. DM261

DM261 Active Member

Confirmed that anyone who wishes to cancel can do so

7. Yellow_Tables

Yellow_Tables Member

The cancellation/postponment should've been taken out of OUR hands a long time ago. I don't see why the IFOA is holding out so long ....

Act_SMC likes this.
  8. DM261

DM261 Active Member

I think this is a good thing, no downside for anyone really. If you wish to cancel exams due to your own circumstances then you can but if you are keen to push ahead and do them then the IFOA are examining every possible chance of allowing students to do that. I'm really keen not to delay progression by six months.

9. dimitris13

dimitris13 Member

hi there,
    where did u hear about this?

10. GOFS03

GOFS03 Keen member

I disagree, this announcement gives zero indication of how the exams will be taken the exams are too close for the IFOA to be taking a week to make decisions.
    In these times the priority should be to focus on students wellbeing not being a cause for untold stress due to indecision.

11. dimitris13

dimitris13 Member

zero info. just rephrasing last week's updatee and deferring the decision.

AaronD, Yellow_Tables and Learn2020 like this.
  12. Helloall

I am really keen not to delay by 6 months either.

Thats why they should postpone by 2 to 3 months.

This time would allow:
    Everyone to know what the format of the exam is going to be - fair
    Let everyone change how they are studying for the exams i.e. no point in memorising lists and assumptions as the notes will be next to you - fair
    Give the IFoA time to put appropriate procedures and rules in place as well as communicate them which they currently find impossible - fair
    Enables people to make a choice as to whether they wish to sit it or postpone to September - fair

From their announcement we still dont know if they mean only online exams or the exams split into two parts.

Furthermore, they say in one sentence "online exams will happen as planned" and then in the next - "we are continuing to look at options ... possibly to a postponement"

Can they still postpone the online exams? What are they talking about...

Yellow_Tables likes this.
  13. DM261

DM261 Active Member

I believe CP2 and CP3 are going ahead in April even if the written exams are postponed/cancelled.

14. Yellow_Tables

Yellow_Tables Member

I wholeheartedly disagree.

If i cancel my exams because of my circumstances and allow others to progress beyond me, i am disadvantaged through no fault of my own.
    Without wanting to start an arguement, this sort of selfish and individualistic behaviour is what the problem is currently proving with the IFOA.
    All students should be in the same boat. Anyone who sees it as a progression delay needs a reality check.

What happens if exams go ahead and you fail in April? Mitigating circumstances due to all this?

15. Helloall

Thanks for the reply.

Is it convention to call CM2 a written paper now? I would agree CM2A is written but CM2B is surely an online paper? Why do the IFoA find it so difficult to communicate clearly what it is that they mean...

AaronD and TurnipKing like this.
  16. Helloall

Ah, they have updated it. They explicitly state CP2 and CP3 are the only online exams on their post. The rest I guess are all written papers.

17. Benoy Soman

Benoy Soman Member

I'm very disappointed with the latest statement.
    @DM261 - Yes I agree that there is more clarity in the sense that you can choose to cancel - fair enough.

However...consider the situation for people who would still sit the exam (myself included).
    We are still no better off.
    I am taking CP1 and we are 4 weeks out from the exam yet we STILL do not know for sure if we can sit the exam.

Scenario 1
    We wait a week, we study for a week more. We remain in a mental limbo for yet another week. (bearing in mind we are all in a national crisis).
    Suddenly the iFoA make an announcement - they cancel. How would you feel?

Scenario 2
    The iFoA announce that exams are still carrying on as planned but online.
    Imagine the level of distraction we all would have endured. Our mindset is all over the place at the moment because of this uncertainty.
    But for arguments sake, let's consider someone who has been mentally unaffected.
    How will they invigilate the exams?
    How will they ensure no system failures?
    What if someone wants to take the exam but has no laptop or access to internet?
    What if they are a parent who has studied hard but doesn't have a feasible, quiet place to sit the exam at home?

These are all serious questions. Again, I have studied hard like many others but we need to have a reality check here.
    This is a once in a generation crisis. Exams come and go and will always be there. Family, health and mental well-being however will not!

18. This is such bad communication from the institute! They've just updated the page to say CP2 and CP3 will go ahead as planned.

I feel like we should all email them and say we need an answer this week! it's unfair to ask us to wait another whole week especially with exams so close. That's another weekend worrying whether exams will happen or not.

Postponement really is the best option as they can sort out their system if they want the exams to go online and we can learn about it too.

19. Benoy Soman

Benoy Soman Member

Couldn't agree with you more. There are bigger things at play here, people do need a reality check.
    I'm not trying to start an argument, just voicing my honest opinion.

GOFS03 and Learn2020 like this.
  20. Learn2020

Learn2020 Member

Cannot believe they have just kicked the can down the road again. It was awful waiting even this long for an update, to be told we have another week to go is a slap in the face.

AaronD, Marzipan and Act_SMC like this.
  21. Act_SMC

Act_SMC Keen member

I'm still in shock that a delay of a further week is what they have decided is the best update right now.

It is so unlikely that the institute is going to read this forum, so if you are genuinely upset by this non-decision then email them to voice your annoyance.

Yellow_Tables, Benoy Soman and Podge like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.