Coronavirus effect on exams

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Act_SMC, Mar 11, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Read the FAQ page on the IFoA website - it was clear that students could access and use personal notes.

Would be interesting to hear how students who sat the exams felt they went. Do you prefer written, conventional exam sitting or an online, open book style exam?

2. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

I fundamentally disagree with you.

Acting with integrity and honesty is key to being an Actuary so I don't think it's "laughable" at all to expect students to act in this way. On the contrary, I think it's offensive to suggest that students couldn't act in such a way.

I guess the proof of the pudding will be on exam results day as to how the pass rates have varied and whether there is a statistically significant variation in pass rates.

3. almost_there

almost_there Member

Once again on this thread you misquote what is being said. Why would you do this?

The leaked paper on this thread notes significant cheating last year. The point you are not addressing is that increasing pass mark would punish those who don't cheat.

That comment makes no sense when you've also said they would vary pass mark. The situation is a complete mess.

MrHarBear likes this.
  4. mavvj

mavvj Ton up Member

The proof of the pudding as you call it might not be there.

By being more stringent on what gains or doesn't gain a mark the pass mark can be moved to around 60 as usual. This can also be done to ensure that a similar proportion pass to previous years.

I'm a Lead Examiner on A level exams and I can tell you that it is obvious that this sort of thing is already being done with past exams.

almost_there likes this.
  5. almost_there

almost_there Member

Tell us how exactly IFoA disciplinary are going to prove someone copied and pasted anything at all into their answer.

6. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

When I have done this?

7. Imy

Imy Member

So all exams are online in Sept. I was supposed to do CM1 in April as my first exam before it got cancelled. Now I’ll probably do CM1 and CB2. Any ideas on how we will write answers for mathematical subjects like CM1? From what I can see on the FAQ it seems like the only options are Word or Excel and I’m worried about typing symbols like the following

Attached Files:

8. mavvj

mavvj Ton up Member

They said they will adjust papers. I suggest many people taking those exams contact the institute and ask for examples using past paper questions. Didn't work for SP2 but they've got more time to do such things before September.

9. almost_there

almost_there Member

Looks like this was irresponsible advice. The bookwork questions have become traps, leading to accusations against candidates by IFoA.

10. almost_there

almost_there Member

Now we read that Contingency Statement we find out what it really meant. Many students receiving investigation into plagiarism letters. I think concerned students should write to FRC and ask them to intervene in the matter.

11. no_name

no_name Member

What do you mean? Have they accused you of plagiarism? Or have you heard from students that have?

12. almost_there

almost_there Member

Why don't you read the other thread in this section on this topic.

13. no_name

no_name Member

Sorry I hadn't seen it - I didn't purposely ignore the other thread. Your message just alarmed me so I responded before looking

almost_there likes this.
  14. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

What part of that quote constitutes advice?

15. Jassi singh

Jassi singh Member

Guys will the results be out today for those who didn't receive a letter as it's scheduled to come out tonight?

16. bot7337

bot7337 Member

I passed CB1 with a 59
    Anyone passed with a lower score ?

17. Jassi singh

Jassi singh Member

I passed Cb2 with a 70

18. almost_there

almost_there Member

You falsely reassured people about the new online exams when in fact bookwork questions were disciplinary traps.

19. almost_there

almost_there Member

See everyone this was a good question I posed but what has actually happened is worse than even I expected - IFoA are presuming guilt and expecting people to prove they did not plagiarise. That goes against every civilised idea of justice in this world that presumes innocence until proven guilty and it's for IFoA to do the proving not you, no matter what they say.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2020
  20. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

So do you think that the IFoA are correct to have flagged people for potential acts of plagiarism?

Would appear that your reference to "fake news" regarding anti-plagiarism software was incorrect!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2020
  21. almost_there

almost_there Member

The inept and unfair manner in which they have accused candidates and demand they prove a negative? It is fully in line with their disgraceful reputation earned from the various Court and regulatory findings against them and accusations made against them by European professional bodies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.