Coronavirus effect on exams

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Act_SMC, Mar 11, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kennethtan

kennethtan Member

Does these mean that the online exams would be open book?

for papers with calculations , we would also have to type in the formula?

2. BrianCunningham

BrianCunningham Active Member

Lovely - moved SA2 to 4 days *after* SP1 instead of 9 days before it. And May 4th is a bank holiday in Ireland (not that I'd be doing much, I guess).

3. ah_act

ah_act Member

Yes I think so

4. Leigh Costanza

Leigh Costanza Keen member

Yep, I'll just type all my graphs for CB2.

harties and Michal Piatra like this.
  5. mavvj

mavvj Ton up Member

I think that's where the reference to Excel comes in

6. HC01

HC01 Member

Do not think the new timetable is appropriate for the current situation. So much information for students to comply with and digest in order to sit our exams which are only a couple weeks away

7. Leigh Costanza

Leigh Costanza Keen member

But Excel is not at all helpful here - the majority of these are drawing general shapes of curves, not precise plots (so actually MS Paint would be more useful(!), as to actually plot some of the shapes would take a long time when you can do it by hand in under 2 seconds). You also have to draw on how the curves move under certain scenarios, mark on gaps between curves, overlay different curves, mark on equilibria, etc.

8. mavvj

mavvj Ton up Member

They are supposed to be looking at whether the questions are possible so hopefully they are plots this time. I wish I could say that it is more than just a hope.

9. Michal Piatra

Michal Piatra Active Member

Yeah, I don't like it either.
    They switched the order of CB1 and CB2, so I have to shift my focus immediately.
    I think that parallel shift of 2 weeks would've been better.

10. Jassi singh

Jassi singh Member

Can anyone please tell looking at the notes is allowed or not or has it been mentioned innthe mitigation guidelines?

11. AlexLky

AlexLky Very Active Member

Does anyone know if the exams will be all on UK time, if so what time is it UK?

12. Studystuff

Studystuff Very Active Member

it states that "Personal course notes are allowed". what would this constitute?

13. TraineeTom

TraineeTom Member

I hope that IFoA offer online exams next sitting too in order to support additional demand from the students who pass this sitting and wish to sit an exam that others have had to withdraw from.

I'm concerned that by missing this sitting the exams will book up much faster in September. Hopefully that's not the case.

14. bot7337

bot7337 Member

Can you paste that section here ? I am unable to retrieve the document

Learn2020 likes this.
  15. dimitris13

dimitris13 Member

1. Any idea if the additional study time will be available?
    2. Any mention about wether they will be changing the questions?

16. Riya

Riya Member

I couldn't access the accessment regulations too (March 2020). If someone could, please post it here.

Learn2020 likes this.
  17. Michal Piatra

Michal Piatra Active Member

Attached Files:

18. Riya

Riya Member

thank you for this :)

19. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

So the exams have basically become an open book exam?

Given the way people have been studying, you would suspect they can't change the format of exams, and so exams will follow previous exams, the pass mark is going to shoot up you'd have to think?

forsooth likes this.
  20. randomWalker

randomWalker Keen member

There's someone saying on Reddit that there is advice the pass mark will be going up as a result

21. kennethtan

kennethtan Member

Won’t they change the exam questions to reduce the book work element given it is an “open book” exam?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.