Coronavirus effect on exams

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Act_SMC, Mar 11, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mohp

Mohp Member

You are right that there would probably be candidates that will be disappointed. However, I think the issue here is about fairness and making sure the Institute upholds its values in treating all students equally. I know the current climate is unprecedented and cannot have been predicted even by Actuaries but surely they could have said they are still looking at alternatives for the CM/CS sitters ?

2. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

Yeah, to be fair, I hadn't really thought of it like that. It's a valid point you make about not every student being treated equally. I can appreciate it being a really tough situation and it must be so disappointing to have put in so much work. Try to take some heart from the fact that next sitting will be easier as you'll be well prepared for it with all the work you've put in to date. It's more a case of keeping your knowledge fresh rather than learning things from the start again.

I also hope that employers will be fair and reasonable in terms of study leave etc. too.

I think the IFoA are trying to do their best and I'd imagine they are seeing what they're doing as trying to help as many students as possible rather than unfairly treat a subset.

The argument about CM/CS being difficult to do in word is true I think. The written part of these papers (I sat CTs so might be a bit out of date!) are very mathematical and require a lot of mathematical notation which would be too complex to type in word. That said, SP6 is a very mathematical subject and they are running that online which seems to be a little inconsistent.

3. Riya

Riya Member

Hello All,

I have been following the above discussion given all the uncertainty and update from the institute today. It seems that those exams which will be held online, they would require typing? (as if it was scan and upload, they could have opened up all exams). Do you think they would increase the exam time? as typing speed will have an impact. Please pour in your thoughts.

Kind regards,

Riya

4. I wouldn't have thought so. Some people type faster than they write, others slower. If you're a slow typist, I imagine IFoA's stance is that your 'personal circumstances' suggest getting a refund... Happy to be proven wrong, but this inconsistency is another reason that I am in the postpone/cancel side of the fence.

5. Dolemite

Dolemite Member

I don't understand how they can say that people are expected not to use notes during the exam, yet say they will have to raise the grade boundaries when students use notes. Surely that just penalises those who don't use notes?

For God's sake, just make it open-book if you're so hell bent on not postponing the exam and having it online. There's plenty of other issues with an online paper that need to be dealt with.

almost_there, Act_SMC and patron like this.
  6. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

If we are going to be using this PSI Browser, how exactly does it work

like can you have more than 1 screen - say question paper on one and answer portal on another, or will we have to flick between the questions and answers? If we need to use excel for some of the questions - again will we be flicking between question book, word and excel?

7. ChimpyWizard

ChimpyWizard Member

I'm sure all of the operational/technical questions will be answered on Tuesday.

Anu Joshi likes this.
  8. bot7337

bot7337 Member

''
    But based on the document provided by shdh , I doubt this system will be in use this time

9. bot7337

bot7337 Member

Also, what about time zones ? Will all candidates sit the papers simultaneously or will they sit at their local times ?
    8 am GMT is 7 pm Sydney time , so it should still be OK
    But what about afternoon sessions ? Will Australians have to sit exams in the middle of the night ?

10. leechang

leechang Member

Hi all
    unpopular opinion but I am glad that the IFOA have looked into an alternative option into allowing students to sit this session.
    I know there are many people who can't and may not be able to sit this session but there is fortunately a sitting in sept.

The ifoa are adapting to what they are being faced with and yes they could have been better with communication but given the circumstances I am ok to cut them some slack.

Yes we are going through a pandemic, but i for one am fortunate enough to WFH as are many of my colleagues, and ive got nothing better to do during this lock down and now am revising.

Am I being a bit selfish - yes. do I care? not really. I was surprised when they decided to have an online sitting as ive been preparing since jan. after the initial shock, i jumped for joy that i have a chance at an attempt and clear some papers.

ChimpyWizard and shdh like this.
  11. Yellow_Tables

Yellow_Tables Member

The fact you’ve even admitted to being selfish sorta half makes the point itself.

I’m glad given your circumstances you are able to study and have no other worries, id guess at least 50% have family to worry about or other conditions.

All the best.

Act_SMC and Marzipan like this.
  12. ChimpyWizard

ChimpyWizard Member

In fact, I'd almost be inclined to think that anyone who disagrees with the IFoA doing their best to roll out as many exams online as possible as being a tad selfish - somewhat akin to not wanting anyone to get rescued on a sinking ship because "it's unfair" they themselves don't get rescued. Remember, qualifying as an actuary is not a competition.

leechang, zapp b and Sinead_D like this.
  13. Yellow_Tables

Yellow_Tables Member

Thanks for your reply.

If I'm completely honest, I don't understand the reference to a sinking ship, it's only an Actuarial Exam at the end of the day.
    Maybe me and many others are missing the point, but by paying your annual fees and signing up to an Institute, it'd only be fair to receive fair treatment.
    Not quite the same as life or death.

I don't think anyone has acted like it is a competition. I'd be saying the same if I was signed up to sit an exam that is now online when I know others weren't so fortunate. I just (as many others do again) feel that it should have been a position where ALL students can sit online exams, or none can.

I don't know of any other institute offering some students the chance to progress, and some others are stopped from doing so by no fault of their own.

Would all students who are impacted by the cancellation of CM/CS exams be due a partial refund for their Annual Fees as they are unable to sit their exams? Who knows.

Cheers and stay safe. :)

Act_SMC likes this.
  14. Act_SMC

Act_SMC Member

I'm also not a fan of this reference. If you were to compare this situation to a sinking ship then it is closer to one where there are sufficient lifeboats to save everyone but only those with a first class tickets are designated a lifeboat seat.

I am fortunate in that I can sit my exam online and will be doing so, but to say that this situation is even close to fair for those that have had an exam cancelled is so insane. If any exams were to be cancelled then they all should have been!

Yellow_Tables likes this.
  15. Marzipan

Marzipan Member

I'm sitting on the fence on this. I can see that it is good that the IFoA is trying to continue with the exams albeit their communication is really terrible. However, I have to agree with Yellow_Tables. Under normal circumstances, society has been trying to narrow the gap between different groups of people. Women with families and who are traditionally seen as carers have been particularly disadvantaged in history but a lot of work has been done to provide them with the same opportunities as men. Work has also been done to increase opportunities for the disabled, some of whom may fall into the high-risk category for coronavirus. The only people this exam sitting will benefit are those who don't have caring responsibilities, those in excellent health, and those who are fortunate enough to have the resources available to sit exams from home. By continuing with this exam sitting, the Institute has snatched "equal opportunity" from a good many people, and we are back to a time when such opportunities are available only to the elite. However, these are not normal times so perhaps allowances can be made? Can such positive discrimination be justified on the basis that it is expected to be short-lived? I agree, though it is not a competition, and for just one sitting, it is not worth getting bitter about - this pandemic is teaching us that there are far more important things in life than exams!

16. RedCoat

RedCoat Member

I'm not sure I fully understand this way of thinking. Why on earth should some students be able to progress just because they were lucky to pick those exams? 1 of my 3 exams has been cancelled, with 2 moving online. I will sit these 2 and am feeling quite well prepared for them. Nonetheless, I feel that the situation is completely unfair and all exams should have been cancelled. There are now thousands of students who will be 'held back' compared to their peers, in terms of qualifying and any salary increases that come with passing exams, time spent studying etc. All exams should have been cancelled if they were unable to accommodate everyone - all members should be considered equally. The IFoA have clearly valued money above ethics here. What seems most ridiculous is that the cancelled exams are the ones which already had online components!

17. newkid

newkid Ton up Member

Another issue that needs to be considered here - is the communication that comes out once the April exams are over - will the CS/CM exams that were cancelled 100% go ahead in September, if the virus is still around, or will they also be cancelled - it is important that anyone wanting to sit those exams in September are told from the outset, that if the lockdown was in force in September (whether continuous or a 2nd wave of lockdown), that they won't cancel - otherwise all students should move on to a different exam.

18. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

A few point RedCoat. Firstly, why are you interested in making a comparison with peers? If you are referring to your peer group as the cohort sitting the cancelled exams then you are all in the same position. If you are looking at other people and are annoyed that they are making progress whilst you have stalled (due to something out of your control) then, to be frank, I think that's only an issue you can solve by changing your perspective. If you try to be the person who qualifies the quickest or earn the most money then be careful... chances are that someone will qualify quicker and there will always be someone who earns more money. Not that I'm suggesting either metric is an appropriate measure of success. In terms of IFoA putting profits first, how is this the case? Everyone has been offered the chance to cancel if they want. Do you think online exam platforms are free, or cheap to set up in a short space of time?

For those of you who are complaining about a "privileged few", let's not forget that a great many people in the retail/aviation/hospitality sectors aren't concerned about exam rises - they are concerned about losing their job, or for the NHS, social services and key workers - the very real danger of being exposed to this horrible virus.

If you have concerns around your health - cancel the exam. Health is far more more important than any exam.

If you are unable to sit an exam because of family and unable to have a peaceful environment - I'm sorry to hear that. Cancel your sitting and enjoy the time spent with your families. I'm sure our key workers would love to spend more time with their families at this difficult time.

If you are unable to sit the exam because of lockdown and you don't have technology then I'm sorry. However, you will be able to pick an exam up in future sittings.

The very fact that many of you seem so concerned about lack of progress/being unable to sit an exam reflects how privileged we actually are. Yeah, you might miss out on exam increase - people are losing jobs, taking unpaid leave from work etc... many of them would love to have a cancelled exam as a key concern.

I feel for all of you who have missed out. I'm not trying to belittle how much effort and time you'll have put in but remember this is a global pandemic - people are thinking on their feet and trying their best.

BrianCunningham and bapan like this.
  19. RedCoat

RedCoat Member

I think you may be misinterpreting my post (and similar posts made by others). I am 'lucky' in that most of my exams have not been cancelled - I am saying this situation is unfair on those who have had theirs cancelled. Quite the opposite to trying to qualify as quickly as possible or whatever, I am saying that all exams should have been cancelled/postponed. Generally, I don't feel that people are complaining because they have missed out, or because of lack of progress etc - instead most are saying that all exams should have been cancelled weeks ago (with all the delays to progress that would come with that). Really the opposite of the 'privileged' picture you are trying to paint. You then go on to highlight that we are in a global pandemic and that many are facing far worse situations than ourselves. This is exactly the point! Actuarial exams are, in the grand scheme of things, utterly insignificant and the refusal of the IFoA to cancel the exams and allow people to focus on more important things right now (as all equivalent boards seem to have done) is disappointing at best. Everyone would have been very understanding if they had chosen that course of action. Instead they have split, with some cancelled and some not, which is just ridiculous really.

20. DM261

DM261 Active Member

Anyone who wants to focus on more important things has the right to cancel their exam and receive a full refund and then sit the exam again in September, or next year!

However, I can guarantee that there will be many actuarial students that suddenly have a lot of extra free time on their hands due to not having to spend 2 hours every day commuting, weekend and evening plans being cancelled etc. Everything being closed/cancelled has probably increased the amount of spare time for revision for a lot of people. For people like this, doing exams now would be the right decision.

The key point is that a mechanism of choice has been opened up.

Sneaky_Newt likes this.
  21. ProudActuary

ProudActuary Member

RedCoat - a few weeks ago no-one knew what lay ahead. Comms from the IFoA have been before but I think they have tried their best.

Apologies if I misinterpreted your post however I hope that if you re-read your post (and several others), you'll understand where I'm coming from. A lot of my points were generic rather than being directed at you specifically. I quoted your post as there were a few points I wanted to clarify.

I'm not trying to troll nor argue with anyone - just calling it as I see it :)

You do of course have the option to cancel both your exams if you truly believe that that is the best thing for you to do. Good luck if you decide to sit them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.