Calculators for exams

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by StevieG4captain, Jul 2, 2006.

1. I never said you were allowed! Why would I say that? :confused: Anyway... you can take a calculator in with as bigger screen as you like as long as it fits the rules. If you are not sure whether it fits the rules then use one that clearly does.

2. kazikizi

kazikizi Member

So does a big-screen-non-graph-plotting-graphical calculator fit the rules?

3. alankrita

alankrita Member

is casiofx-82MS allowed

i m a new student so i just want to make sure is fx-82 MS calculator allowed in exam

4. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

I've taken my laptop in a few times and no one seems to mind.

I generally try and get an exam centre where it's possible to get a wireless internet connection.

It helps if you paint "CASIO fx-570MS" across the top of the laptop so it is in plain view of the invigilator.

Good luck in the exam.

5. kazikizi

kazikizi Member

avan... why did you take a laptop into the exam?

as for me... I think I will only take an abacus to be on the safe side.

6. Normal Probabilities

Thanks for the long thread in reply to my original post, I think someone managed to answer my question! lol

Here's another:

Does anyone know if we get full marks when calculating normal probabilities if we use the function on the calculator (for those that have a statistics mode). All the notes seem to rely on interpolating the numbers from the tables. Surely my calculator is more accurate and if so, weird why they don't include that as a possible answer in the solutions.

Maybe they're assuming that people without a capable calculator will just get confused by an answer they can't check??

7. Gareth

Gareth Member

well i passed all my CT's using my normal distribution button without problems...

complete waste of time imo to manually interpolate the tables.

8. Thanks

Exactly what I was thinking.

You can't even assume linearity so what's the point!?

Glad my trusty calculator can be relied upon, not only for accuracy but also to save time working out a bodged answer

9. Is this calculator acceptable?

According to the criteria on the Institute's website the following calculator is permitted in the exams, surely this can't be right, can it!?

CASIO FC-200V

It is capable of the following functions:

(Casio)Financial Consultant Calculator FC-200V.Mode settings,parameters and many more settings can be regitered as a shorcut for recall, with the touch of a key.This provides you with an instant access to your setups and repeat calculations.Features;- Simple Interest- Compound Interest.- Cash Flow(Investment Appraisal)- 1.net present value- 2.net future value- 3.interest rate of return.- 4.pay back period.- Amorization- Depreciation- 1.straight-line method.- 2.fixed percentage method.- 3.sum of years.- 4.declining balance method.- Bond Calculation.- Break Even Point Calculation.- Day/Date Calculations- Cost,Selling Price Margin.

This sounds like a very handy calculator to own, especially when studying CT1, but I can't see where in the Institute's criteria it prevents us from using it in the exams. If that's the case, think I'll treat myself to one for xmas! :D

http://www.actuaries.org.uk/Display_Page.cgi?url=/students/examregs.html

7. For examinations copies of actuarial tables including a list of standard formulae will be available to candidates in the examination room. Candidates may use electronic calculators in all the examinations subject to the following conditions:
    (i) Candidates must provide their own calculators.
    (ii) Under no circumstances should hand-held personal computers, of any description, be taken into the examination room.

(iii) Calculators must be silent, have visual display only and be battery or solar operated.

(iv) Calculators with the following functions and facilities are not permitted — data banks, dictionaries, language translators, retrieval or manipulation of text, graphics display or external communications.

(v) Any stored data and /or stored program facilities must be cleared before the calculator is taken into the examination room.

(vi) No extra time will be allowed for candidates who do not use calculators or whose calculators break down in the course of the examination.

10. Actuary

Actuary Member

Bit of a pricey calculator is that...
    CT1 maths isn't that difficult, any calc will do.
    I'm happy with my fx-991ES :)