CA1 It's just crazy !

Discussion in 'CA1' started by avanbuiten, Oct 13, 2005.

1. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

42% pass rate - that's a drop of 4% on April. :(

Training for this exam is like survival of the fittest. Some of us will make it, some of us won't. Good look comrades.

p.s. I am becoming more convinced that this exam is more about idea generation than well thought out answers. I think the examiners are looking to tick boxes for key words mentioned. Hence CA1 is mainly a bit of a memory test & correct application I think. I may be wrong. What do you think is most important ?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2005
  2. jeaneu

jeaneu Member

I think mention as many points as relevantly possible to get as many marks as possible!! Obviously within the time limits of the exam!

And Maverick, 60 seconds to read a chapter in CA1? What r u doing - skim reading, or just flicking thru the pages? I think u'll find that for most ppl who go thru the chapters doing the questions as well, readng a CA1 chapter will take much longer than 60 seconds - especially the 40 page chapters!!

3. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

Wow, you must of finished CA1 in under an hour! :rolleyes:

Seriously though it is good to see some people who have some confidence in themselves. Good for you! :D

4. veeko

veeko Member

Well, I'm not actually doing CA1 at the moment, but this is what I've heard about the person(s) who actually designed the course:
    They wrote the syllabus for the course and included a whole lot of stuff, but by the time it actually came out as part of the new education strategy, they realised that it was too long and couldn't really take out any of the material in time! And also, so I've heard that CA1 is going to be reduced in size in the near future (don't know how true that is). I've spoken to loads of people, and yes, it is a hefty exam. Don't forget that those on the CA1 pass lists include those sitting for half the exam as well, so the number that actually pass both is less than the figure avanbuiten quoted!

If the CA1 hasnt changed by the time it comes for me to do it, I will actually consider progressing through the other remaining exams and do CA1 last!

5. bystander

bystander Member

From what was said at the SIAS meeting on education recently, I wouldn't hold your breath about a change.

Some things that cropped up on CA1:
    Why are both papers the same day? - Ans: need to fit the exam somewhere and historically there was more than 1 exam with an AM and PM paper. 'We did it, so can they!' seemed an argument that was being put forth.

Why the repetition with other subjects? - Ans: its a different level of knowledge being tested.

Personally, not heard any rumours on a change but they are adamant that the partial exemptions will expire at the end of '06 so if that's you make sure you get the residual half (unless you fancy going backwards!). They won't give 'half credits' going forwards as they insist it's one exam.

Happy cramming!

6. Anna Bishop

Anna Bishop ActEd Tutor Staff Member

CA1 changes

You might be interested in the post on the thread "Cut it Out" on 2007 changes.

7. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

Yes that is an interesting thread.