CA1 It's just crazy !

Discussion in 'CA1' started by avanbuiten, Oct 13, 2005.

1. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

More crazy than Crazy Frog ?

60 chapters!

What went wrong? :(

So someone had the bright idea of reinventing the actuarial exam system for 2005 onwards. Were they like:

" Ok, we need to improve on this 100, 200, 300 series system.
    Let's do exactly the same exams for the 100 series except mix it up a little and call them CT's. Everyone loves rebranding. Who remembers Marathon bars? "
    :eek:

Then they went on to say:

" Hmmm, what about the 300 series exams? I know, how about rather than the 300 series, we just have the 300 exam? Of course we need to give it a new name, how about 'The Big Daddy' ? Too exciting? Ok we'll call it CA1 instead. This way we cut the number of exams taken to qualify and everyone's happy! That's right, students do exactly the same amount of work, but rather than test them in 3 different managable exams, we just make them do it all in one - just think of all the money we're going to make in resits! I just know this will be well received." :confused:

Then they said:

" But we don't want to seem to be unkind. Lets tell people who currently have a 300 exam they only have to do half of CA1. But this is the real genius part of it. We also tell them that they can be tested on the other half in the other half of the exam! Get it? No, neither do I but I think it could be a real money spinner. Am I good or what? "
    :mad:

Comments ?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2005
  2. examstudent

examstudent Member

no doubt the actuary responsible for designing such an ingenious scheme works in product design

..that my narrow down ur search when i presume u look to assasinate the canniving one whos made ur life hell!!!!!!! LOL

3. Kail

Kail Member

At chapter 4 now

I'm completely demotivated as well.

I started off well, thinking the content is actually interesting but soon realised the pace at which I'm going at will have to be increased to about 5x times my going rate now.

I'm longing for the day(which might be in two years time only) to have crossed the CA1-bridge - really think the end would then be in sight

http://www.hsba.go.jp/hasi-inf/img/akasi-b.jpg

4. Deniese

Deniese Member

avanbuiten....that was hilarious, you competely put in words what I was thinking.

God knows how people have passed this exam......its sooooooooooooooooo much!!!

5. steven74

steven74 Member

one chapter at the time... and don't panic! I agree it's a LOT of work, but it's not difficult, is it, I mean, to grasp the concept. It's just a long boring, excuse me, VERY boring depressing session, but you'll get through it. And the relief afterwards.... :p

6. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

Update

I have written up the first 5 chapters now but actually read the first 21.

This is a new concept for me but it means I can participate in tutorials.

So far the material doesn't seem very difficult, I think the tricky part as ever will be guessing what the examiner is looking for in an answer.

Somehow I think I need to pick up the pace a little but not too concerned at this stage.

How's the rest of u doing?

7. Nimve

Nimve Member

Freaking out

Well just started reading this and am now having a mild panic attack ! Thought I was doing well having read 6 chapters and not bored myself to death - how wrong I was :)

Am now fully motivated to read at least 1 chapter this evening !

8. Deniese

Deniese Member

You've read 21 chapters!!...are you doing Q&A banks as you come to them or are you just reading everything through once before you start to do questions? Thats if , in fact, you do do Q&As.

Have you retained the information?

9. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

I do the Q & A, assignments, etc in line with my written progress. So now I am at chapter 5 I will do the first part of Q & A.

As for reading ahead I do retain some of it but not all. Clearly neither do I retain what I've written down. I won't start memorising until I have completed the entire course. What I consider important at this stage is understanding.

10. Deniese

Deniese Member

fantastic, you are in exactly the same place as me....now i don't feel so bad. The way its going, i don't feel Iwill ever get past chapter 5 with the writing ups and Q&As.

11. Cool Rider

Cool Rider Member

Listen up stress heads, and I’ll tell you how it is… The time you’ve wasted moaning on here could easily have been spent going through another chapter in your notes. Put your efforts into study and not whingeing and you might pass.

Difficult? You’re joking – you’ve only got to beat about 50% of the candidates and judging by the messages on here that shouldn’t be very difficult.

Cool rider signing out.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2005
  12. Muppet

Muppet Member

oooooooooooooooooooooooooeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

13. Deniese

Deniese Member

Very productive Cool Rider........I can see you had nothing better to do with your time. Rather than leave us alone to share our views of how to get over CA1 you actually waste your time coming on the forum to basically say NOTHING!!!

Well Done... Round of Applause.....you've helped to make things so much easier.

14. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

Thanks for that Cool Rider. I can tell from your laid back comments that the pressure obviously hasn't got to you and you're well in control of your temprement.

Maybe if you admitted you're having problems (denial won't help) you will be less likely to post these unhelpful (but admittedly "comic") rants and be more "cool". :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2005
  15. Maverick

Maverick Member

To be fair to him, CoolRider does make some valid comments. CA1 is an easy exam; if you disagree, list me the ten hardest concepts in the syllabus.

A long course is not a difficult course. If you're struggling with absorbing lots of information that is spoon-fed to you by ActEd, how on earth are you going to cope when - God forbid - you qualify and become a practising actuary?

The brute force approach of parrot learning everything you read is not the way to pass CA1 or indeed any exam; but I suspect this advice is about 10 years too late for most of you.

16. EyeCame

EyeCame Member

Listen Maverick, why don't you get off your testosterone fuelled fly-by and let these people have a topical conversation?

List me the 10 hardest concepts of your life:

1. Social interaction.
    2. ?

17. Deniese

Deniese Member

Thanks for that 'Maverick'...just like 'Cool Rider' you have managed to say absolutely Nothing.....Just to think of the 5-10 mins you wasted typing that message when you could have actually done somtehing constructive.

18. EyeCame

EyeCame Member

How slow do you type? 5-10 minutes for a post?

Obviously not slow enough though, somtehing tells me.

19. Maverick

Maverick Member

Evidently, your employer does not permit you to take CA3 before CA1.

If you think I haven't made any comments, then I suggest you re-read my response. Let's hear your argument why CA1 is not easy.

By the way, it may take you 5-10 minutes to type a message, but it takes me about 60 seconds, which coincidentally was about the same amount of time it took me to read a chapter in CA1.

20. Cool Rider

Cool Rider Member

Thank you, Maverick. At last, someone joins me on planet sensible. I was beginning to think talking to myself was the only way to get intelligent conversation round here.

How far through the exams are you, Maverick? And after how long?

21. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

In april 05 only 46% passed CA1, presumably many of those who did pass were resitting. So obviously the majority of students will have some difficulty with this exam.

Secondly, a subject need not be difficult in content for it to have a challenging and difficult exam. Take CT8 for example, the course is ok, but the exam, generally speaking, is not.

Thirdly, some of us, maybe not yourself (not necessarily myself either), find it difficult to fit in 58 chapters before April as well as Q & A, asignments, mock exams, etc... with all the other commitments that are part of life (e.g. work, family, trainspotting, etc...).

You may argure my third point is irrelevant becuase it applies to everyone, but I would say some people may have larger workloads or responsibilities than others. We are not all equal in regards to study/work balance - therefore what may be easy for one can be difficult for another who is equally intelligent and capable. :D

That is why I believe CA1 to be difficult, although none of us yet have said we will not pass it. I expect (hope/pray?) I will do admirably, but I can still consider it a challenging process to get to the position where I am likely to pass in the given time frame.

I think over confidence on my part, now, at this stage of the game would be a sure sign that I am not taking seriously just how much work I need to do to pass this. This may or may not be the same for you. :)

Have a nice day :cool:

p.s. We should be fighting the system and not each other! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2005