Marking For Acted
ActEd has a large team of mainly qualified actuaries who mark students' assignments and mock exam scripts in the run-up to the exams from October to April and from May to September each year.
We provide markers with a copy of the appropriate current tuition course and detailed advice on how to mark so that markers' efforts are of greatest benefit to students. We also hold a marking day each year (normally in October/November). Markers are able to contact an ActEd tutor to discuss any technical queries that may arise.
We operate a fairly flexible system to suit each marker's individual needs. Markers choose which subjects to mark (subject to our requirements), how many scripts to receive each month (subject to a minimum number to make it viable for us) and whether they'd prefer to mark in the evening or at the weekend. Markers are free to stop and start marking at times to suit them. We give markers ongoing support to ensure that they mark well and efficiently. The payment for each script will vary according to the time taken to return the assignment to ActEd, the subject, the length of the assignment and the student's assessment of the usefulness of the marker's comments. We require all markers to mark electronically using a device.
Interim Payments (Winter session only)
There are two options for the receipt of payment for marking. The first option is to receive an interim payment in February plus a balance payment in May. The second option is to receive only the final payment for all work in May. In February markers receive a list of all the scripts they have marked that session, along with comments given by students on the standard of marking. This is in preparation for the interim payment. At that stage, markers can choose which payment method they wish to have. Payment is made straight into the marker's UK bank account.
Current Marker Vacancies
We currently have vacancies in a number of subjects and in particular we are looking at recruiting new markers for CM1, CM2, CS1, CS2 and CP1.
If you are a qualified actuary, are eligible to work in the UK and are interested in marking for ActEd please contact ActEd Markers for further details.
Please note that at the busier times of the session we may not have the time to respond to enquiries about marking straight away. We will respond as soon as we are able to.
Ordering Paper, Marking And Electronic Products
You can order our 2024 study materials using our online estore. If you are unable to order using the eStore, please submit an order by email using the Materials Application form. Your order may take a little longer to be processed.
However, if you have never ordered from ActEd before, have a look at our placing your first order page for helpful tips. If you need further advice about which products to order, please see Help and Advice for New Students.
Prices for core, revision materials and other study materials.
Online Courses: Logging In
Thank you for purchasing an online course, which you can access on our new virtual learning environment called The Hub.
- Open a web browser and go to address www.bpp.com/account
- Enter your username and password. (Your username is in the form of an email address. If you have forgotten your password then click on 'Forgotten password?')
- Click 'Login'
NB: Please do not click 'Register' or try to create an account. If you experience difficulties logging in, eg because you have forgotten your username, please email ActEd@bpp.com
Don't have a username yet?
If you don't yet have a username for The Hub, it will be created for you when your online course is ready for use. If your course is ready now then you should receive an email with your login information within 1 working day. You may need to check your spam/junk folder for this information. You must then follow steps (1) (2) and (3) above to log in.
You should log in and look around the course as soon as you can, in order to see what's there and get comfortable with the technology, even if you don't plan to start using the resources straight away. We recommend that you start with the 'Welcome' presentation, which is in the 'Getting Started' section of the course.
We hope you enjoy using your online course and wish you all the best with your studies.
Feedback Prize Draw
Do you fancy winning £150 of gift vouchers (from a major UK store) for just a few minutes of your time throughout this session? If so, read on!
As you may know, we try to collect feedback from students on the quality of marking for all assignments submitted to us. This helps us to maintain the high standards of study support that students deserve. However, we realise that actuarial students have very busy lives and so don't always find that spare minute to provide feedback on every assignment they have marked. We have therefore devised a pleasant way to help you 'remember' to do this - by giving you the opportunity to win £150 of gift vouchers!
How it works
- This session, for every series of assignments or mock paper for which you submit feedback, we will enter your name once into our prize draw.
- The ActEd draw will take place approximately two weeks after the exams.
- Students submitting feedback on a tutorial, marking or course materials are eligible for the draw.
How To Give Feedback
- You can give feedback on your marking on The Hub.
- Login to The Hub and select the marking course and the relevant assignment / mock exam you wish to give feedback on.
- Select the feedback activity, eg 'CS1 X1 Assignment: Your feedback on your marking' and add your feedback.
Prize Draw Terms And Conditions
- The prize draw is open to all users of ActEd's products or services who complete, between successive draw dates, one of ActEd's specified online feedback forms, leaving their name and email address as confirmation of entry, or submit feedback about their previous marker using an assignment cover sheet when submitting an assignment.
- Students will be given one entry for each completed tutorial or materials feedback form and for each series of assignments or mock paper for which feedback is submitted, subject to a maximum of ten entries per student per draw.
- Entrants must provide ActEd with a valid email address before or when submitting their feedback.
- No purchase necessary.
- The prize is £150 of gift vouchers from a major UK store.
- The prize draw is only open to people aged 18 or over.
- The closing dates for the two draws are 15 May and 15 October. The winner will be the first entry drawn at random.
- The draw is not open to employees of ActEd or BPP, their subsidiaries, families, agents, their affiliates or anyone involved in the prize draw.
- ActEd reserves the right to substitute the prize for another prize of its choosing which has a value the same or greater than the original prize, in the event of circumstances outside its control.
- The draw will be made within one month of the closing date.
- The winner will be notified by email and the name of the prize winner will be announced on ActEd's website and on ActEd's discussion forum.
- Prize is non-transferable. No cash alternative will be offered.
- Judge's decision is final.
- Entry into the draw will be deemed to constitute acceptance of these terms and conditions.
Terms And Conditions
Click on the links below to see the relevant Terms & Conditions: