Yield curve

Discussion in 'SA2' started by Benjamin, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Benjamin

Benjamin Member

Hi,

Ref: CMP, Ch12, p.9

Why is the yield curve based on swap rates first and foremost and only on gilts if swap market no sufficient liquid/deep?

I've seen answers online relating to liquidity and to the cost of issuing of debt by debt providers but nothing that seems "official".

2. Lindsay Smitherman

Lindsay Smitherman ActEd Tutor Staff Member

3. Hi I was wondering what the effect of say volatile equity markets would have on the Eiopa yield curve?
    Thinking out loud I have that:
    The yield curve is based on swap rates, which is where floating rates are swamped for fixed interest rates.
    In times of volatility I presume these fixed interest rates become more valuable but I'm not sure how that effects the swap rates and hence the Eiopa curve.

4. Benjamin

Benjamin Member

Would volatile equity markets not make debt more desirable, pushing price up and yields down?

5. Mark Willder

Mark Willder ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I think the interaction between the equity markets and swap rates is complex. They are fundamentally different things (swaps being based on money markets rather than equities), so a lot could be going on to distort any link. However, I'd agree with Benjamin that often equity volatility leads to a move to safer assets (bonds and cash) and hence a rise in price and a fall in bond yields (and hence the swap curve too).

Best wishes

Mark

6. Thanks guys, makes sense.