Yet another Career advice thread

Discussion in 'Careers' started by jain.er, Jan 24, 2012.

1. vikky

vikky Ton up Member

jain er

jain er

Hi der..been following what you have to say..which institute have your done your mba finance from?N my two pennies on dis...if money is the ONLY criteria u can make tons of it in any profession...but...d catch is u have to be damn good at what you do!!!
    All d best...hope u find ur calling :)

2. sonnyshook

sonnyshook Member

I worked for an investment firm in London last year and there was NO study support or even Sympathy. Before I joined them I had all the CTs plus ST6 and I left with the same amount of exams because I couldn't find time or support to study. I have moved to GI this year and its much better because they understand what actuaries need to do to qualify. My advice is you should seek an explicit study contract with the IB or stay with your current company until you qualify or get the investment banking experience and postpone the study.

3. Jane2013

Jane2013 Member

For around 5 months now. It is the job in entirety that I am unhappy with, mainly the actual work. So with the switch I will actually enjoy the work that I do. I have never really loved actuarial science, but forced myself to get through the degree and exams...

Regarding the study leave support, due to the fact that there is none, qualifying will definitely be much harder. I had already done ST2 and ST5 @ uni but missed the exemptions, so there is still hope that I can pass these as I have done the syllabi's before.

4. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

I recall reading a few years ago that 30% of medical graduates never go on to practice medicine.

Life's too short to waste on stuff you don't really want to do.

The whole "I'll just suck it up for a few years and then it'll all be ok" thing has a lot of appeal.
    But your precious investment of time is badly, badly exposed to the volatility of real life.