Written question - phrases do's and dont's

Discussion in 'CA3' started by Viki2010, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

I am actually a bit consused as my exam counselling report advised not to use phrases such as: "I can fully assure you....", "I would also like to assure you....." etc. stating that they are "not ideal for CA3". Advising me to look at the solutions to help me understand why they are not appropriate for CA3.

I have seen past written answers (letters) to CA3 questions, where the phrase "I can assure you...." is often used.

I simply don't get it. What is wrong with using "I can assure you...." in CA3 communication.

2. DA Taylor

DA Taylor Member

Hi Viki2010,

I am as confused as you are. I have failed CA3 twice. This doesn't sound so bad, except that I am given written reports at work to review (including those written by senior consultants) to correct wording/spelling/grammar/general construction, etc. If I was not able to communicate effectively I would not be able to do my job!

I am at a complete loss as to how to pass this exam and am starting to get the idea that it is actually bogus..... I have also picked up noticeable contradictions in the guides/notes for CA3.

3. David Wilmot

David Wilmot ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I'm somewhat surmising here but I suspect that the issue with "I can assure you that..." might be that it may be (inappropriately) interpreted as being agressive/defensive/arrogant - all of which are interpretations we don't wish to create.

Personally, if used in the right context, I don't have a problem with this phrase.

DA Taylor - you mention "noticable contradictions". If you are referring to the ActEd materials, then please can you let me know what/where they are so that I can address them. (Of course you may be referring to the IFoA materials which ActEd do not produce.)