Workload for SP9

Discussion in 'SP9' started by limamichelle, Dec 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. limamichelle

limamichelle Active Member

Hi everyone
    Planned to do SP2 and SP9 in the April sitting. But after clearing though all the course notes on SP2 and now starting with SP9 (read half of Lams book before i started reading the notes and currently at chap 3) it seems like the amount of workload for SP9 would be similar to CP1 vs a a normal SP paper. What do you think?

I'm thinking of quickly stopping and moving on to SA2 which would be my last exam and saving SP9 for September where i would have more time to concentrate on it

What do you think?
    • Should i just do SP2 in Apr?
    • Would i have enough time to do SA2 with SP2 in Apr if i start SA2 next week?
    • Should i stick to doing SP2 and SP9 as the workload isn't as mush as i think for SP9?
    By the way I'm paying for the exams myself with no study leave, so just sitting and failing to resit later is not an option due to cost.
    If it makes any difference to your recommendations, for the CTs i did 2 exams each sitting passed first time, then CP1 in one sitting. The workload was manageable. But i don't think i could do CP1 and for instance another CT or SP at the same time in terms of workload and reliably pass.

2. limamichelle

limamichelle Active Member

no replies- maybe i should make my questions clear,
    What is the workload on SP9- is this similar to CP1, another SP or another SA?

Kind regards

3. Sneaky_Newt

Sneaky_Newt Member

I'm awaiting results from SP9 tomorrow, having completed CP1 and SP7 before and having recently started studying to sit SA3 in April. I did find covering the core reading for SP9 took quite a bit longer than for SP7. I track my study and my first pass through the reading, just following through the lists at the start of each chapter took me just over 100 hours. The Lam book is very readable and most of it is quite interesting, though the Sweeting textbook was a bit of a drag. In total I did more hours study for my sitting of SP9 than I did for CP1.

limamichelle likes this.
  4. i-actuary

i-actuary Member

Helloeveryone,
    just wondering since sp9 is considered to require extra workload compared to other sps why ifoa states the same amount of hours ?
    is the extra workload because of the extra material (2 books) or because of its nature?
    if it is the former it should be the same case with sp6.

5. Anna Bishop

Anna Bishop ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I would say the workload for SP9 is similar to that for CP1, it is a big SP and requires a lot of dedication to get through the reading and an awful lot of question practice to pass. Worth it though, as it leads to the extra qualification (CERA) and it's an interesting subject (but I may be bias there)! Yes probably the extra work stems from the two books (and a couple of papers) to read.

6. Simon Harris

Simon Harris Member

Hi folks. I've recently started studying for the SP9 with the intention of taking this in September's sitting. I'm already qualified and i've been a long time out of the studying game (7.5 years), however I'm keen to add the CERA credential to my belt.

My question is - there is clearly a lot of reading to do for this one as, in addition to the Core, there are the Sweeting and Lam texts. What advice could someone give me on note taking? I'm finding it's currently taking forever as there's such a huge wealth of knowledge to learn - any tips on efficiency of taking notes would be very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance, Simon