workload comparison CA1 v ST2 and ST5

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by thepony, Oct 16, 2009.

1. thepony

thepony Member

Hi

I sat CA1 in April 2009 and passed it first time over winter.

How does the workload compared between sitting CA1 vs ST2 AND ST5 OVER WINTER?

Thanks very much

2. fiend

fiend Member

I think the workload would be quite similar for two st's compaired to ca1.

I would definitely go for it and if you start to struggle with time, for whatever reason, then just don't do as much as on as the other.

But given the time remaining to the exams I see no reason it would not be do able.

3. fiend

fiend Member

Oh and a seperate thought from a strategy point of view, is that there is probabily not a lot of cross over I am guessing between ST2 and ST5.

If you are working in life insurance then it obviously makes sense do to ST2. If this is the case have you thought about ST1. I would imagine there would be a lot of cross over.

If, however, you would like to study ST5 for interest or work in investments then it also makes sense to pick it!

4. bystander

bystander Member

2 sts will be fine in the next session. But work on them at a similar pace otherwise you may find yourself either over-running or peaking too soon on one then forgetting much of it.

5. Goku

Goku Member

Do you guys think the recommended 400 hours is enough to prepare for this exam? If I had to write this exam next April, it'll mean me having to study every day, starting from 1Nov, for 2hours (not taking account of the full days when I'm on study leave, and also the few days in Dec during Xmas and New Year when I don't do any studying at all).

6. Busy_Bee4422

Busy_Bee4422 Ton up Member

I think I am already reading about that much at the moment and I am concerned about time! I think once you start reading you are also going to be concerned about study materials. It just seems there's a lot to learn and it's not enough learning it. I've been thinking flashcards and bitesize as a small initial outlay and then add to that if there's any other things I need. Any ideas regarding study materials?

7. thepony

thepony Member

thanks for the advice.

has anyone on here ACTUALLY PASSED ST2 and ST5 BOTH FIRST TIME during the WINTER?? I just wanted to know so i can be sure it is realistically achieveable as am a bit unsure myself.

There are three days between the exams so i would need to space things out and cover as much past papers as i can before then.

Thanks very much

8. jimlad

jimlad Member

Yep. I did ST2 with ST5 last April, first time, passed both. ST2 was easy, no problems there. ST5 was probably a bit closer - I don't work with investments, but there's nothing hard to understand in either subject.

I think you can do it, I'm not even a diligent student so if you're well organised I don't think anyone should worry about it too much.

That said I'm kind of going through a reaction to too much study; it's rubbish. Do one ST and take up boxing. Or something.