Working overseas

Discussion in 'Careers' started by Ivanhoe, Jun 7, 2013.

1. Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe Member

I have been working for a small consultancy for the past three years and my assignments have been quite diverse. They comprise largely of employee benefit/pension valuations, but I have also been involved in some life insurance pricing assignments and some regulator mandated general insurance assignments.

I have primarily been using excel for my work and also intermittently use VBA. I have cleared the CT series from the UK Institute and have cleared one ST.

I was keen to work in Australia. Could you please let me know the ways in which I can increase my chances to work there?

Regards,

2. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

Sounds like a good start.
    Send in some job apps and see how you go.

3. Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe Member

Thank you for the response, Hobbs! I am not sure whom to write to. Can you guide me in this regard? I have uploaded my resume on DW Simpson quite a few days ago. I have not got any response so far

Also, I intend to make a switch now to a bigger firm. I believe that if I were to work in a Life/general company as opposed to a consultancy for a year or so, my chances of moving to Australia would be brighter since I would be involved in core life/general work. These would pay lesser than consultancies though. Am I correct? Responses from others are welcome.

Regards,

4. Calum

Calum Member

I'd suggest as a first step phoning up some local recruitment firms and asking them some general questions - where the demand is, what for, what kind of level, market reception to overseas candidates, etc, etc. Very few people are likely to jump on a generic CV.

5. Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe Member

Thank you, Calum!