Working in Spain

Discussion in 'Careers' started by Deniese, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Deniese

Deniese Member

Does anyone have an idea about the salary scale in Spain for an actuarial analyst with 4 exams left to go and also for a fully qualified actuary?

I can't find anything about this on the Internet.

2. p51ngh

p51ngh Member

be warned..... in some countries actuarial work is less sophosticated than you might think...... you might not get good value for qualification

3. Mike_stefan

Mike_stefan Member

as a recruitment consultant who has dealt with plenty of spanish actuaries wanting to come the other way, I would salaries in Spain are very low. some characteristics of the Spanish actuarial market:

1. you qualify by degree. you do a degree, or masters, in actuarial science and you become a fully qualified actuary

2. the work tends to be much less sophisticated. people with pensions/investments exp tend to also do a lot of audit work. people with a GI background might do quite a lot of basic data handling/manipulation. consultancies will also often mix disciplines - it's not unusual to have consultants doing a mish-mash of life and GI consulting work (in fact I placed someone like that 18 months ago)

3. salaries are very low - we are talking 35-55k euros for someone with 2-4 yrs exp, which is not that much, not even when you take into account lower living costs. it's about 40% more expensive to live in London compared to Madrid, and the salaries unfortunately do no compensate for it

anyone with any questions/queries, feel free to post here, or PM me if you want to talk privately

4. parnell

parnell Member

Spain is great - I used to be a bartender in Madrid , if you're in your 20s and money is your big deal then dollars to donuts you're a tremendous scrabble player. I even like actuarial work or at least interacting with other actuaries altho far too much sausage and not enough taco in this thing. Most of the really great senior actuaries I have met can tell a decent story or two about their mis-spent youth.

5. almost_there

almost_there Member

Thanks Mike Stefan.

6. almost_there

almost_there Member

Since 2007, the UK made 23 decisions for accepting actuaries via MRA from Spain and rejected none.
    http://ec.europa.eu/growth/tools-da...?action=regprof&id_regprof=1004&tab=decisions

Spain has had two applications in total. One was from the UK and was rejected:
    http://ec.europa.eu/growth/tools-da...m?action=regprof&id_regprof=428&tab=decisions

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2017
  7. Viki2010

Viki2010 Member

There seems to be a little problem with MRA as it does not always work both ways as it was meant to work. The UK accepts EU actuaries but the societies of actuaries in the EU do not accept other EU/UK actuaries - weird.....

8. almost_there

almost_there Member

Are you questioning the Institute's judgement?

9. Tarbuck

Tarbuck Member

Nope. Looks like a moderator amended my post. May as well not bother posting in that case. I think I'll just delete my account and be exasperated from a distance.

almost_there likes this.