working for the regulator

Discussion in 'Careers' started by black_bird, Apr 8, 2019.

1. black_bird

black_bird Member

An opportunity arose for me to work for an insurance regulator oversea. The role is more supervision and less modeling etc.

In the past I've always been doing lots of technical work. Please I wonder what everyone's view is, will this narrow my future possibilities or enhance it? If say few years down the line, I want to move back working for the insurers on the technical side.

Thank you I appreciate any input.

2. vikky

vikky Ton up Member

I would think a stint with a regulator would be good experience on your CV. The tricky bit is where are you getting a chance to do this..If its an emerging market it would be very good experience as you would get to be part of policy making which could be very good experience.
    Hope this helps and all the best black bird

3. Infinity

Infinity Member

When you find out about the lack of time it takes for people to qualify wherever you go, please let me know...

4. chmielu

chmielu Made first post

I'm sure working for the regulator is a valuable experience. It should be worthy for the insurance companies as well because they deal with regulators on a daily basis. The questions might be if the regulatory environment differs much overseas.

5. Infinity

Infinity Member

The “regulator” for the IFoA has been closed down in shame. Sometimes it is not a good idea....

6. almost_there

almost_there Member

IFoA wanted it to continue as it was. I don't blame them in a way, as the oversight was so bad it was nothing to be afraid of.

7. mugono

mugono Ton up Member

The role will likely broaden your softer skills, particularly in communication and your influencing skills.

In my view, these can only enhance your future possibilities; especially if you want to develop into leadership (not necessarily technical) positions.