Work in USA

Discussion in 'Careers' started by dhvanil, Jun 1, 2013.

1. dhvanil

dhvanil Member

I want to know whether it is possible to work in the U.S.A for an Actuarial position with Indian exams/ UK exams and without writing American exams?

2. Jon_P

Jon_P Member

If you are already qualified, then yes, it is pretty easy. For the CAS, you need to complete the professionalism course (COP), and they will grant you FCAS status. The SOA has a similar scheme.
    If you are a student, then I imagine that it may be more problematic. I think that it would be difficult to get a US company to sponsor you to do UK exams.
    Your best bet would be to try and get a job at a US office of a UK company.

3. dhvanil

dhvanil Member

Thank you for your response.
    However, I did not get the "sponsorship" point fully. Is it only difficult to get the sponsorship for UK exams or is it also difficult to get a job at a US company with UK exams? I am more concerned about getting job at a US company with UK exams than getting sponsored for them, because I can manage without getting sponsored for exams..

Thanks

4. Calum

Calum Member

It shouldn't be a problem to have passed exams anywhere in the world (particular individual's irrational prejudices aside). Obviously, once you are working in a particular part of the world they will prefer you to take local exams. However, if you're close to qualifying under some other system I imagine most employers would be sympathetic to you finishing under that system.