Work Experience

Discussion in 'Careers' started by SAMUEL19, Jun 22, 2010.

1. SAMUEL19

SAMUEL19 Member

Hi
    i'm hoping someone can offer some advice...
    I have maths A-level, and further maths A-level both A's. Unfortunately only acheived a 2:2 in my Economics degree (due to circumstances during my studies).
    I have working in an analytical role for 7 years now, and now want a career change. I plan to put myself in for the CT1 exam, and more following.
    My question is about the work experience, I do not have any in the actuarial proffession, and wondered if anyone knows whether firms take on interns outside of the usual summer break internships? ie an industrial placement of sorts.
    I can take an 18 month career break in my current role, and ideally would like to do this from autumn, get work experience, make headway with exams and wow the company with my dedication and be offered a permanent role :D
    Has anyone come across firms providing this type of thing?
    Many thanks for reading

2. bystander

bystander Member

Firstly look carefully around any clauses in the break you have. They may allow you to say go and work abroad for a voluntary organisation, but they may not be keen if you are trying to find a new career. I don't know about these kinds of break but not come across anyone using it for this.

So I think you are going to find it hard. Nothing to simply stop you wracking up the exams though.

When you eventually pass all exams a qualified actuary must certify that you do have the right experience so somehow you will have to get experience. Look out for new student roles coming up and apply is the best advice I can offer.

You say an 'analytical role'. Sich analytical skils will help in your applications.

3. yingbei

yingbei Member

I wish I could help, but actually I have the same problem. I did biochemistry course in uni, and finished with 2:2. apparently, most of actuary trainee programmes are taking graduates with at least 2:1. To be honest, I find it seems even harder to get some work experience than to achieve an exam. I just did CT1 exam earlier this year. Well, I feel like this what I like to do, and I knew it'd be hard and take a long time when I decided to go on this career path, so we just have to keep trying to convince someone to offer us some work experience. sometimes, we just need something to start with.