Work Based Skills

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Little Miss Actuary, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Hi

There doesn't seem to be any threads about Work Based Skills so I thought I'd start one. I'm not sure I know what I'm doing. How much time do you spend on it? I think ActEd should write some guidance notes because I'm confused :D Why didn't I join the profession before 2005 or whenever it was that means you don't have to do this? :confused:

2. Pede

Pede Member

Don't you mean the Institute? In which case, there's loads on their website already - just do a search for "work-based".

3. Simon_P

Simon_P Member

Hi Guys,

I was looking to start answering some of the 'Review Questions'...

but I can't find them! Is there a list of questions on the professions website, which I can't find (in which case I'm being a dunce :( ...) - or do I need to contact them directly?

Thanks,
    Simon

4. Louisa

Louisa Member

Simon_P, the list should get sent to your supervisor when you've sent off the supervisor registration form.

5. didster

didster Member

I'm also a bit lost about the work based skills. I don't work in the UK and am the only Institute student in my office.

Is there a requirement for formal activites (eg total time) like there is for CPD?
    Because I don't really have much to put down, I generally learn what I need when I need.

6. Simon_P

Simon_P Member

Thanks Louisa,

I'll get onto him and see if anything has turned up...

7. Dha

Dha Member

Dopes anyone know if you need to submit fees when submitting your learning logs? I intedn to submit a few together. Trying to get info out of the Institute is not a trivial exercise!

8. bystander

bystander Member

When introduced, you were supposed to submit logs every six months. They termed it a 'Quality Assurance Period'. There was no fee.

Now, the requirements are still there that you have a log and you do need to do the questions, but you only submit when you are eligible to be FIA (I think if you want to be AIA there is a requirement then too). That's were the £75 now fits in.

Don't believe there is any fixed hours requirement so it is different to CPD.

Would be interesting to know if they stop anyone being FIA because of an inadequate log!

9. Dha

Dha Member

So I'm changing employer now, and I haven't submitted any learning logs, but I'm not that close to qualifying. Should I submit logs for the time I've spent with my employer or what?!

10. jeaneu

jeaneu Member

Dha, it seems the profession do recommend you send in your forms when changing employers (See Q22):
    http://www.actuaries.org.uk/Display_Page.cgi?url=/students/qa_wbs.html

You don't have to submit learning logs until you qualify but it looks like you still can at any time "for review" (so the institute can tell you whether or not it meets their requirements, then they keep whatever you've sent them already), although it's now not formally requested. It looks like the £75 fee only apply when you send off your final sign-off form

11. bystander

bystander Member

I agree with Jeaneu. Put in a partial one now, or at the very least get your employer to sign it now. People move around and your old boss may move on too so getting retrospective signatures could be v hard work.

When you get to the new place, remember to change your supervisor too.

Hope its a good career move.

12. Dha

Dha Member

Cheers guys. I managed to get some clarification from the Institute. I was confused cos they told me I couldn't submit them retrospectively, but they've since said that they were wrong. Gotta love the Institute!

13. Dha

Dha Member

Also, I note in the template, in the section for supervisor's comments, it says "applicable if the material is commercially sensitive". Does this mean it can be left blank or what??