Work Based Skills

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by leafy, Dec 6, 2007.

1. leafy

leafy Member

I'm studying the Actuarial exams as a kind of hobby. My current job doesn't require it, or get much use from it.

I know that there is a requirement to fill in some forms for "Work Based Skills" but have yet to do anything for this. I don't really understand what they are, or know where to go to get what I need to fill them in! My supervisor doesn't really understand either.

Can someone explain to me what it is I need to do?
    As I said, I don't work as an Actuary, although I do do a mathematic job in Insurance and some work I do could be constued as "work based skills" (I hope!)

Thanks,
    Leafy

2. leafy

leafy Member

ooh thanks.
    Failed to find that myself :p

3. I am in the same boat - my job does not require me to do the exams but I've worked out that I've been doing exams at least once a year for over 13 years so why stop now?

For work based skills questions, I've been attempting the more vague ones, such as 7 uses of spreadsheets in the office, write about a course you went on, etc, as not many of the other questions are relevant to what I do...

4. Just because he has been doing exams for the last 13 years it doesn't mean he has been doing Actuarial exams that long!

5. leafy

leafy Member

What can I say, I like learning.
    I work in (Re)Insurance and everyone around me was doing the ACII (Insurance exams). I had no intention of doing them and paled at the thought of not doing any further studying at all and gradually losing any mental ability I had!!

Can't say they are fun, but they certainly are worth it following a success. (Just passed CT4, woo!)

Leafy :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2007
  6. thomasb

thomasb Member

Because I have to find mental challenges somewhere? :)

Also, it may lead to a career change.

I sent the wbs email address a mail recently saying the reason I wasn't submitting WBS stuff was because I don't currently work as an actuary.

I do use Excel for creating router configurations - reckon I could count that in?

Thomas

7. Cardano

Cardano Member

Its a hobby for me too. There is some useful stuff in the actuarial exams, but pursuing a career in it isn't very appealing

8. Just to set the record straight, I did mean exams in general, only been doing actuarial for 2 1/2 years. It does slightly disturb me that I'm doing them for fun, but at least now I know I'm not alone!

PS I'm a girl!

9. Oops, sorry. I don't know why I assumed only men could have unit linked fun :)