Word

Discussion in 'CS2' started by James123, Feb 19, 2024.

1. James123

James123 Member

Hi,

I know paper A is on word.

my question is are we allowed to use the ‘draw’ function on word, if I find it easier than trying to use word notation for any questions?

eg, for drawing markov state models? Maybe for other questions too, so it’s as if writing with pen and paper rather than trying various notation

2. James123

James123 Member

Also, just more generally as it’s my first time sitting exams. How does the process work? Do I access word through an acted portal or do I just use word on my computer as usual and then email/upload it at the end of the exam ?

3. Andrew Martin

Andrew Martin ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi James

Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, you can't use any drawing functionality unless this has been specifically agreed with the IFoA. From the IFoA's examination guide for September 2023:

21. You cannot handwrite or use freehand drawing tools or other hardware, such as drawing tablets, or any device that converts handwritten text into typed text automatically for example Apple pencil or Surface Pen, unless the IFoA have approved specific access arrangements.

You may find it helpful to read through the guide, see the link below:

https://actuaries.org.uk/media/dijjp1c1/examination-handbook-01-september-2023.pdf

As I understand it, you will be using your own device and software and then upload at the end of the exam (see page 5 in the above). That guide is for last year so do keep an eye out for the April 2024 one when it is released. However, I'm not expecting any significant changes to the process.

Hope this helps!

4. James123

James123 Member

thanks.
    Also what is the split of marks between Paper A and B? Do they each contribute 50% to your final mark as they both have 100 marks available?

5. Andrew Martin

Andrew Martin ActEd Tutor Staff Member

James123 likes this.