Word processing Assignments & Mocks

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Jon Bowden, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Jon Bowden

Jon Bowden Member

Not sure if this has ever been asked before but is there an official ActEd line on word processing and/or typing up assignments or mocks?

Naturally there's no point for the Maths-y subjects, but for CA1 or any ST, SA etc. it would probably make reading easier (more legible) and in my case - I can type a lot faster than I could write.

I guess it might encourage waffle and wouldn't be "exam conditions" but as long as the material is correct, would it really matter? Timing would be way off, but assuming I know how to pace myself in the exam (1.5 - 1.8 mins per mark) is there really any need to practise your handwriting?

I guess it's akin to practising for a manual driving test in an automatic car - you can do it but it won't help directly.

Thoughts?

2. bystander

bystander Member

For me, its better to hand write answers as this simulates what you do in the exam. Most people can read their own handwriting, but getting a 3rd party to comment on its ease or otherwise can be useful. They can show which bits cause problems and suggest remedies eg use BLOCK. Or comment on how you make alterations as this can affect impression/legibility

And your writing varies a lot with pressure. So sticking to time constraints is a good test. Some marks are easier/quicker to get than your rule of thumb.

Its not a case that say spelling is important in the exams other isn't any gain in that area.

It is easier to keep a copy of typed material rather than worry about scanning.

So no there isn't anything to stop you typing and generally the mark won't be affected.

3. didster

didster Member

This suggests to me that you may believe the legibility of your handwriting to be an issue, in which case you should probably practice it. In later exams style layout etc also play a part (collecting thoughts, grabbing marks on scheme, proving ability to plan, think sensibly, and make an argument).

I don't think it's too much to do 7 "exams" (mock plus assignments) under exam conditions. Ideally you should know how much to write in a given time period without thinking about it. I would think that checking your watch regularly to check progress in line with 1.5 mins per mark would interrupt trains of thought.

That being said, it's horses for courses - practicing writing legibly and fast for 3 hours straight was a big issue for me. If the above isn't an issue, then yes it may be more efficient to practice answering questions for content via typing than writing.

No idea what the official policy is. Perhaps Acted don't even care. Ask yourself what you want to get out of it. Clearly they are going to be less able to comment on your strengths and weaknesses when you do the assignments under artificial conditions.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2011