Word count accuracy

Discussion in 'CA3' started by Snowy, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Snowy

Snowy Member

On a recent assignment I had marked, the marker noted that I should have been more precise in my word counting as the correct word count was over the +10% limit.

I had used the approximation of number of words times lines as usual.

So, my question is:
    In the exam, should we spend time counting accurately the number of words, knowing how many marks can be lost on exceeding the word limit, or should priority be given to actually finishing drafts of both questions first.

It may be difficult (with time constraints) to count exactly - especially since we may be drafting on the unlined scrap paper.

2. capitalH

capitalH Member

In my exam, I aimed for an exact word count. However, as I was running out of time with Q2, I wrote the last 2 paragraphs without counting any words, but I knew I would be sort of fine. I do not know what the best approach will be, if you are near the target word count, you should be fine with approximating, but if you are already near the min/max approximating can probably take you over.

3. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer Member

Did you pass that exam?

4. bystander

bystander Member

It is very difficult to know for sure, but I am led to believe they do perform the count properly and it includes headings/titles etc. I would definitely expect them to check if you find yourself on the borderline pile.

Your approximation is helpful because you will get an idea where you need to be ending in the answer book.

If you go over, look for redundant words. These are generally adjectives or subjective words like, clearly or unsurprisingly. Be careful with these as things may not be that clear to the audience and can appear condescending so are best avoided anyhow.

Sometimes writing in short sentences helps your count.

For example,
    You may wish to hold exactly the right combination of types of shares which will mean you have to constantly re-evaluate your holdings.
    {23 words}
    Change to.

You could hold precisely the right type of shares. However, this requires constant re-evaluation.
    {14 words}

So if you find yourself wanting to say 'but' think about a new sentence. Note also this is written in a different tense. This can also help you.

But don't run the risk of not finishing. This would definitely worsen your chance of passing compared to a slight overrun.

Good luck

5. didster

didster Member

My strategy (which worked well) was to write drafts in the answer book with a couple of blank lines between each line.

This way you can edit sections very easily as needed, whether it's for content, word count, or style. Then I copied the revised draft in final. Once the word count of the draft is ok, the final should be in the right ball park.
    If you're run out of time you still have the draft in the book, so you can cut your losses and decide which version (draft/unfinished final) will be better. God forbid it comes to this however.

I'm inclined to think that the examiners have better things to do than count words. It will either read as having too much irrelevant stuff or missing key items. But then, counting words introduces some objectivity in a subjective exam and presumably they know who writes too much to give their usual statement about "those who wrote too many words included irrelevant info..."

6. David Wilmot

David Wilmot ActEd Tutor Staff Member

I think that there are some great tips in this thread about how to be succinct when you write.

As someone who has been an assistant examiner in the past I can tell you that:
    • we do perform an approximate word count but we give the benefit of the doubt if that approximation is only just over the limit
    • you will loose more marks for not expressing yourself clearly and/or not answering the specific questions asked than for going a little over the stated limit - so it is more important to focus on the former than spend ages counting words!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  7. Zebedee

Zebedee Member

Must resist temptation to point out spelling mistake by an ActEd tutor in a CA3 thread.... :D

8. David Wilmot

David Wilmot ActEd Tutor Staff Member

9. capitalH

capitalH Member

At least something to trump my mistake (to which I will not link) when I said that I was nervous about the CA3 results...