Will I lose marks for using a simpler calculation?

Discussion in 'CT1' started by Tim.Sullivan, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Tim.Sullivan

Tim.Sullivan Member

Question for the tutors:

Probably being paranoid here!

An example payment stream: continuous payments of £5000pa for 4 years starting at time 2. Followed by continuous payments for £9000pa for 4 years, and so on, increasing by £4000 in each 4 year time period for a total of 20 years (i.e. ending at t=22).

The obvious solution here would be an increasing continuous payment annuity of £16,000 in the first time period, £32,000 in the second etc for 5 periods, plus a level continuous payment annuity of £4000 for 5 time periods. The calc is easy enough but error prone - you have to remember to calculate the total payments in each time period (e.g. it's £20,000 in the first period, not £5,000!) and you have to use a rate of interest of (1+annual rate)^4.

I personally found it easier to write the calc simply as:
    (ā_4)x(5000V^2 + 9000V^6 + 13000V^10 + 17000V14 + 21000V18). Much faster and simpler.

If the payment stream was over a longer period I would have used the increasing annuity calc.

My question is: If the exam question doesn't specify the calc method to be used, would I lose marks if I use common sense and use the quicker and simpler calc (for short time periods like in this example) instead of the method that I suspect the exam Q is really looking for?

Thanks!

Tim

2. John Lee

John Lee ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Any method which gives the correct answer will receive the full marks. They're quite flexible in CT1 so have no fear!