Will 50% always guarantee a pass?

Discussion in 'SP5' started by avanbuiten, Sep 11, 2008.

1. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

50% in an ST exam would normally get you a pass.

However, comments from the examiner in ST5 papers such as April 07 :

"The pass rate for this diet was very similar to the last session although the pass mark was higher, reflecting the overall higher scores achieved by candidates..."

Does this indicate that if enough people score high marks, they will adjust the pass mark upwards in order to maintain a lower pass rate?
    Hence punishing the average student for the performance of exceptional ones?

So is 50% enough or not?

Thoughts please!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2008
  2. Meldemon

Meldemon Member

Think it depends on why everyone suddenly manages more than 50% - is the paper too easy or is the standard exceptionally high (or the markers too lenient)?

I usually aimed for 80% and prayed for 50%! :D

3. didster

didster Member

In line with my opinion that numbers become irrelevant in the ST subjects, the actual marks you get is not really important.

You just need to try your best and hope that you make the cut.

Something like "Aiming for 80% and hoping for a pass" is a good strategy.

4. Muppet

Muppet Member

I would hope that the pass mark just reverted to the norm - which I expect is around 50%. They probably lowered the pass mark for the previous paper if it turned out to be harder than expected. I don't think they usually raise the pass mark - and certainly don't think they should. It would basically be saying that just because the cohort has done better than previously, fewer must pass.

5. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

If you read the examiner's report it sounds like that's exactly just what they did! :(

6. avanbuiten

avanbuiten Member

Well I just did April 2008 paper (which I got an FA). I felt like I did better than in the exam.

I gave myself 48%, but was really strict on marking so maybe worth 51%. Looks like Wednesday could be a close call again!

Good luck everyone (as long as it's not to my detriment ;) !!!!