Why pick exam dates

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by rocketman, Aug 27, 2006.

1. rocketman

rocketman Member

OK - is the institute sadistic or is it just me? Why do they insist on putting the exams just after holidays/bank holidays. I don't know about anyone else but just after the exams I need a break. Perhaps they don't realise, but I only study to pass exams, to get paid more to PAY FOR MY LIFE. Whhy do so many actuaries think work is life? I have just seen the April exam dates - directly after Easter. So - Cheers - extra free study time, and no holiday time from Xmas to the summer - marvellous.

2. King

King Member

Easter Sunday is on the first Sunday after a full moon following the spring equinox. This can be on any Sunday between March 22nd and April 25th. Compared to this - the exam dates are relatively consistent.

3. Good question, and one you're not alone in asking. There's a piece on this on the Actuarial Profession website at:

http://www.actuaries.org.uk/Display_Page.cgi?url=/students/examtiming.html

The otehr thing to bear in mind is that as the exams are taken worldwide, overseas public holidays, e.g. Anzac Day, Labour Day etc. have to be taken into account. As always, if you can think of a better solution then I'm sure the Institute would be happy to hear from you. A number of exam Centres are also in Universities and it's often easier to get the necessary accomodation out of term time.

I couldn't tell if
    was serious or sarcastic. I'm sure some people would be grateful for free study time, or maybe use some of it to study and the rest to try and relax, but realise that all people study differently.

4. LouiseF

LouiseF Member

Maybe I've been doing the exams too long, or my actuarial training has enabled me to spot patterns quickly, but I've noticed that the exams usually alternate on each side of Easter. This is probably to to the with the Equinox thingy (thanks King). But rejoice that in 2008 the exams will be over before Easter and you can spend the whole long weekend eating chocolate and watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

5. Fiasco

Fiasco Member

Since I am disorganised, I prefer exams after Easter so that I can catch up on my study.

6. Dha

Dha Member

Why have next September's exams been moved to the end of September? It's quite a big difference.

7. hi5

hi5 Member

That is a very strange thing actually. Thanks for the observations.

Any theory about why the ~20 day delay? Is this one off?

8. I think in the case of next September it may be to avoid certain Jewish holidays. In particular, Rosh Hashanah is (I understand) 13,14 September and Yom Kippur is the Friday after. I would therefore guess it's a one-off.

9. Abi

Abi Member

It evens up the long/short sessions nicely, so I wouldn't mind if it was a more permanent change. What does everyone else think? Do you like being able to have a break through September & October, having a longer session to get to grips with the more massive subjects, or would you prefer it evened up a bit so there's not so much time pressure over the summer?

10. jeaneu

jeaneu Member

I'd prefer an evening up of the sessions - at least it would mean summer sessions don't feel so rushed, and u can enjoy the sunshine (or whatever passes for sunshine) a bit longer before having to knuckle down and get back to studying!

11. rocketman

rocketman Member

I'd prefer the sessions to be more evn length. Not everyone can or wants to go on holiday for the whole summer, so we don't necessarily want to do no study and not bother with exams in September. I personally find I have more free time over summer to study and I like my skiing holidays which the damn exams just interfere with.

And yes, I was being sarcastic about the study dates - I do have better things than study and I would prefer to study at times of my choosing and then have a break afterwards than lose all my holiday entitlement and bank holidays studying and never having a break. 50 hours a week working plus another 15-20 travelling and then studying on top means I'm knackered by the end of the exams and could do with a break - next one (thanks Institute for putting exams after the bank holidays) - Christmas. Oh goodie - only 3 months to have a rest then!

12. hi5

hi5 Member

50+20=70 /5 = 14 hours per day.

That is sucide.

Is your health worth a degree / certification.

13. hi5

hi5 Member

50+20=70 /5 = 14 hours per day + study

That is sucide.

Is your health worth more a degree / certification? No it is not.
    Give some time to your self.