Why is i(p)/p called the "effective pthly rate"?

Discussion in 'CM1' started by Gerry, Mar 25, 2024.

1. Gerry

Gerry Made first post

I do not exactly understand why i(p)/p is the "periodic effective rate" but i(p) is the nominal rate per annum.

How does dividing i(p) by p turn it into an effective rate? Shouldn't the rate change for each compounding period once compounding is taken into account for??

2. Joe Hook

Joe Hook ActEd Tutor Staff Member

Hi Gerry,

i(p) is a slightly artificial interest rate which comes about from trying to value an annuity annually that makes payments pthly.

Keeping it simple, if we have a 3 year annuity making payments of 2 per annum in arrears half-yearly then we could value as:

(1) PV = v^0.5 + v + v^1.5 + v^2 + v^2.5 + v^3. Multiply both sides by (1+i)^0.5 and we get:
    (2) (1+i)^0.5 * PV = 1 + v^0.5 + v^1 + v^1.5 + v^2 + v^2.5
    (2)-(1) = ((1+i)^0.5-1)*PV = 1 - v^3
    Hence PV = (1-v^3) / (1+i)^0.5-1

The denominator here is the half-yearly effective rate of interest. Since v^3 at the annual effective rate is equal to v^6 at the half-yearly effective rate we can rewrite the numerator as 1-v^6 at the half-yearly rate. Hence we can value this as a 6 period annuity making payments of 1 evaluated at the half-yearly effective rate.

Now imagine I wanted to use the annual rate of payment instead. I'd have to multiply this expression by 2 but also divide by 2.

So i'd get 2* [(1-v^3) / 2*((1+i)^0.5-1)]

The numerator in the brackets is the same as we'd get for a 3 year annuity but the denominator is 2 x the half-yearly effective rate. To make notation easy we write the denominator as i(2) and call it the nominal interest rate convertible half-yearly. It's simply twice the half-yearly effective rate so equivalently the half-yearly effective rate is 0.5*i(2).

Does this help?
    Joe

Gerry likes this.