Why aren't Actuary exams completed by University courses

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by mpyan1, Jul 18, 2014.

1. morrisja

morrisja Member

Oh I know, but a bit further back mpyan1 was referring to me when he originally asked the question.

Not that the question is particularly relevant unless one of us actually is an examiner.. no one has any more knowledge than the other - it's all opinion and speculation, though some may be more biased than others.

2. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

Is that as stupid as having an IFoA Director of Education and a IFoA CEO who have never worked a day of their lives as Actuaries?

3. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

Sorry but that's a myth. People with a decade or more experience find themselves failing SA, while some pass it 3 years from Uni. Maybe it's to do with how blue your eyes are.

4. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

I'm not forgetting that. I agree with you. This is why I've seen a trend of putting non-Actuarial people in Actuarial Analyst jobs. They're cheaper and get the same job done. Because it's not hard working with spreadsheets.

5. morrisja

morrisja Member

You could be on to something there :D .. my eyes are quite blue and I passed SA2 two years out of university.. Not to say I didn't study hard and apply what I knew, but from my experience exam technique is the most important thing for passing the exams.

6. mpyan1

mpyan1 Member

Good, so that's another myth busted about the SA series exams.