Who are the top 10 players in the world right now?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by FatSam, Feb 28, 2006.

1. FatSam

FatSam Member

Obviously hugely subjective but hey tis a good debate nonetheless
    lets see if we can balance it out between strikers, midfielders and defenders
    Possible candidates?

Ronaldinho
    Schevchenko
    Ballack
    Zidane
    Gerrard
    Lampard
    Rooney
    Henry
    Riquelme
    Cannavaro
    Buffon
    Cech

These are the ones off the top of my head. Who have I forgotten? Or who have I foolishly included?

2. Muppet

Muppet Member

forgotten: Peter Crouch
    foolishly included: Gerrard

3. Fancyme

Fancyme Member

Forgotten: Eto'

4. parnell

parnell Member

Brian O Driscoll no.1

5. leafy

leafy Member

I wouldn't put Gerard in a world top 10. He's good, but he's not consistently good enough for me.

I would put John Terry in (against my better judgement).

Leafy

6. Goku

Goku Member

Future Stars

In my opinion, Robinho from Brasil and Messi from Argentina are 2 GREAT names that are missing from the list above...Its just a matter of months before these 2 create a whole new generation of Super Strikers!

From Ronaldinho's performance in the World Cup thus far, I'd say the teams( and players) have "caught up" with him...he's quite basic when closed down and marked...compared to Robinho and Messi who are quick on the ball, can disintegrate defences, distribute the ball into dangerous positions and rise to the occassion. I sometimes wonder how he(Ronaldinho) became World Player of the year for '05 and '06.

These are just my opinions only. I look forward to viewing yours.

7. kazikizi

kazikizi Member

the best player in the world is Peter Crotch from England :)

8. leafy

leafy Member

Goku,
    Actually I have to agree with you on Ronaldinho. He's been rather poor in this world cup and, while you may say that he hasn't got the on fire Brazil around him to work with, to be a truly great player you should be able to shine no matter who you are playing for!
    My example of the would be Rooney. I'm perhaps biased, but I hope I'm not. I think that he is a different class. In the game against Sweden England were playing as poorly as they have done all tournament, but his control, skill and ability were just phenominal. He could create something out of nothing. He managed to pluck a hopeful ball over the top out of the air with his foot, bring it under control as if it were glued to him, spin on the spot and bypass 3 defenders to play a running forward in. I feel so sorry for him clearly not be 100% fit, and with a mis-matched team around him, but he still stands out.

There have been a few other players that have shone for me in one game, but then been kept quiet in the next when the other team mark them.

Leafy

9. examstudent

examstudent Member

one thing about Ronaldhino

he has had a hand in a few of Brazils goals.... the killer pass etc
    though being man marked so tightly he is not going to be able to exhibit
    the delights of say Robhinio ..
    of course soon he too will get man marked...

I think brazil vs England semi final is increeasingly likely

10. Rob Marsh

Rob Marsh Member

Based on World Cup perfomances only, and in no particular order:

Robinho
    Torres
    Klose
    Cannavaro
    Maniche
    Rodriguez
    Riquelme
    Joe Cole
    Ribery
    Ballack

That's what I think anyway. Rodriguez's goal against Mexico was simply awesome!

11. jimjoachim

jimjoachim Member

One additional player who hasnt been named is Kaka.
    I feel that he has been Brazils shining star thus far.

Regarding Lampard. He is nolonger the best midifelder in Chelsea let alone the world.
    There is no doubting he is good but it seems his shoot on sight mentality has finally caught up on him.
    I hate the talk that the England midfield hasnt really clicked this summer.
    In my opinion its Lampard who hasnt clicked.
    Beckham, Cole and Gerrard have.

Id love to see Sven start with Gerrard and Carrick in the middle on Sat.
    It would release Gerrard more who is much better with linking up with the forwards than Frank "Have it" Lampard

What does everyone think??