Which SP exams should I take?

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by Heddy, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Heddy

Heddy Member

I am not sure which SP exams I should take and would like to have some advices from you. A little background of myself, I have been working in GI for 3 years, mainly in reserving and capital modelling, and moved to healthcare non-life sector few months back. I have done CTs and CA2, going to do CP1 in April and planning to do SPs September sitting.

I am thinking about doing SP1 and SP7. It would make sense for me to take SP1 as it is more related to the line of business I am currently working in, but I am not sure if the exam required working knowledge which I dont have a lot at the moment. Since I have more GI experiences and knowledge, I am tempted to do SP7 and SP8 instead, but this would not be relevant to my current work. As far as I know, people usually do SP1 and SP2 because both are non GI. Id prefer SP1/SP7 simply because of my background, but if SP1/SP2 is a better combination, may be I should do SP1/2?

2. Pede

Pede Member

Other factors to influence you:
    There's a lot overlap between SP7 and SP8.
    Which SA do you fancy doing? SA1 needs SP1 (does SP2 also help? I don't know). SA3 needs SP7 and SP8.
    There's a little bit of GI in SP1 (PMI).

3. bystander

bystander Member

Looking beyond SP what SA do you think you want to do? If it's SA1 then either combination sp1/7 sp1/2 works. Sometimes the more office experience you have, it can be a hindrance rather than help as you get a narrow perspective and write answers to questions based solely on what your office does. On the flip side, when you are relatively new, the course can be a help!
    Good luck in your decision and if you are sitting in April choose soon and press on with confidence!