Which SA subject should I do??

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by happychap, Dec 26, 2007.

1. happychap

happychap Member

Hi all

I only have the fellowship exam left to do and have recently left the pensions consultancy world to work at a university teaching on their actuarial degree. Given I no longer need to do SA4 what would be the best / easiest SA subject to do.

I very much enjoyed the mathematics involved in ST6 - do you think SA6 is therefore the best choice.

Any help appreciated.

2. Meldemon

Meldemon Member

As far as I know SA6 is a pure investment based paper - similar to the old 401, and no ST6 equivalent fellowship paper exists.

I sat SA5 myself, but only go for that one if you have passed / attempted ST5 since some of the concepts repeat from ST5 to SA5...

Anyone out there who sat SA6 and can offer a more informed opinion :) ?

3. FatSam

FatSam Member

I don't necessarily think that there is an easiest SA subject, just the one that you are more familiar with. In your case, that would obviously be SA4. So I would go for that if I were you as you will find it more straight forward than learning a whole new subject. Your only other real alternative would be to do it in the subject you got your other ST in. For any SA subject, you have to be familiar with the preceeding ST subject.

Hope that helps.

4. bystander

bystander Member

Another choice would be what are you most interested in yourself? Even if it's something new, the interest can carry you through because there's less temptation to say 'yes I know that' and so not think broad.

Or, do you have to do any research in your new role? Then maybe that will give you a steer

Enjoy the new career

5. ExamFatigued

ExamFatigued Member

How about SA0, the dissertation/research route? You'd have a completely free hand to choose your practice area - and depending on your topic, this could be cross-discipline. It would be suitable if you're a bit of a theorist with an academic interest in actuarial science. Of course, the down side is you need to come up with an original piece of research and convince the profession that you have demonstrated the necessary rigour.

6. Gareth

Gareth Member

It also has to be about 50,000 words (the length of a phd thesis!!)... not worth it compared to a nice 3 hour exam!

7. happychap

happychap Member

thanks for the advice

thanks for all the advice guys. As I'm going to do a PhD in the general actuarial area anyway I may take the SA0 route.

Wish me luck!

8. Gareth

Gareth Member

I'm doing a part time phd at Cass Business School in actuarial science at the moment, where are you going?

9. happychap

happychap Member

Hi Gareth

Working at Queen's university teaching on the Actuarial Studies degree whilst doing a PhD at the same time.

I'm just realising what a big difference it is from working in an actuarial firm.