Which exams go together?

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by etweedie, Jun 13, 2008.

1. etweedie

etweedie Member

Hi,

I am studying my first set of exams and i am wondering which exams to group together.

I am taking CT1 and have studied towards that already. I am now deciding whether or not to take CT2, or CT3 alongside it.

Which would be best?

Would it be best to leave CT2 for next sitting where i will take 3 CTs (2,4,5?) or take CT2 now and ensure passing, then i can take 3,4,5 at next sitting?

Thanks in advance

2. Depends on your stats background, and how you get on with wordier subjects.

If you're good at stats (maybe studied recently) you could do CT3, CT4 & CT5 together. CT3, CT4 & CT5 in one sitting is, arguably, a lot. They're mathsy subjects with a lot of notation to get your head around.

If you're more human, I'd go for CT1 & CT3 now. That leaves you CT2, CT4 & CT5 over the winter. In the winter, maybe you could start with CT2 & CT4 and then pick up CT5 later in the sitting if the others are going well and you don't have any retakes.

Lastly, could you get an exemption from CT3? Lots of uni stats courses are adequate, although you may want to pick up the ActEd notes as well just to skim through as background reading to the later subjects.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

3. bystander

bystander Member

You may want to consider course size too. Don't know when you started CT1 and how far you've got. Bear this in mind given the residual time to the exam.
    Even something like dates of exams may be a part of your choice. Do you like them close together or have breathing space between?

The stats if you have the background may be the best bet. It does no harm to do the exam even if you could get the exemption. The profession sometimes puts a different twist on material cf uni exams or there may be a vital bit you haven't already covered that recurs in other subjects.

What is important, is having made a choice, stick to it and don't find yourself thinking I should have done x rather than y.

Hope you have a great first session. There's nothing like the boost of a good start.

4. etweedie

etweedie Member

Hi guys,

Thanks for your advice.

As for how much time i have to study- i have completed CT1 reading etc and now i only have to practice it- i.e. questions, mock exam etc.

I was leaning towards studying CT2 now, as i think i am more likely to perform better in this, and leave tackling stats stuff for my next sittings (hopefully CT3, CT4 and CT5).

Although i could perhaps get an exemption from CT3, i take the point that it may prove useful to study and sit this exam anyway, as the way material is presented and the slant on what material is covered will relate better to material covered in other topics.

Thanks again!