Which 3CTs to take?

Discussion in 'General study / exams' started by anoushka, Oct 8, 2011.

1. anoushka

anoushka Member

Im thinking of taking 3 CTs in the next session. Which 3 will I have the best chances of passing? I only have CT1 and CT3. Ive already decided on CT7, but not sure of the other two. Any suggestions?

2. Edwin

Edwin Member

Ct 8.

3. mattt78

mattt78 Member

which CTs

?? I guess everyone is different, but CT8 was voted the hardest CT subject on this other threat, and has one of, if not the lowest pass rates.

http://www.acted.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4727&highlight=hardest

I think CT1,2,3 and 7 all have pretty high pass rates and are widely considered a bit easier than the other four CTs.

(You can work out the pass rates by looking at the old results lists on the institute web site - I don't think they show them explicitly anywhere but if you go to the pass lists the total number of people who sat the exam and the number who passed are shown).

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2011
  4. dopeyS

dopeyS Member

I have just sat CT7 and CT8 together and definitely think they go well together, there is some overlap in the underlying principles that helps both slot together, or at least it did for me

CT 8 is a hard one but with a lot of past papers you will be fine

I have previously sat CT2 and I would say this is also a good one to sit with CT 7 as they are both wordy and CT 7 is an extension of CT 2 in places.

I would say that 3 is a lot of work, I couldn't do it but you may deal with exams better than me!

Just remember CT 2 and CT7 are very wordy and although not conceptually difficult require good revision.

5. barnie

barnie Member

I'd do CT4 and CT6 before moving on to CT8....

Also i would split 2 and 7 into different sittings, i found it better to have a wordy one along side maths ones rather than all maths or all wordy in one sitting!

So may be 4,5 and 7? or 4,6 and 7 as don't need 5 for 6.

6. anoushka

anoushka Member

Thanks for all the feedback!

Looks like CT7 and CT2 for now..just not sure of the 3rd..:confused:

I recently did CT3 - studied very hard - and Im still able to answer all the questions from the past papers. I heard that this may be my best chance at CT4, given that CT3 is still fresh, and the overlap in content. I dont think my recall will be this good in a years time.

Is CT4 then a good choice as a third?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2011
  7. mattt78

mattt78 Member

I can't really remember CT4, but CT6 I would have thought is more of a natural progression from CT3.
    CT6 is the only other paper that is heavy on stats.

8. anoushka

anoushka Member

Thanks Matt

That may be a better idea.

9. DevonMatthews

DevonMatthews Member

I would not advise doing CT4 with that work load if your studying part time.

If you "must" do 3 subjects then i would advise CT2,6 and 7

Otherwise I would recommend C2+4.

I really don't see the point in avoiding the harder exams and trying to rack up the easy ones first up, your just leaving all the hard stuff until later which will increase your chance of failing if your doing multiple exams in 1 sitting.

10. Lewin

Lewin Member

dont try 4 and 8 if you ultimately decide on taking 3 papers
    ct4 will require a lot of study time to feel confident enough to pass
    how would you rate yourself as a student?above average?if so,go for ct7,4 and 6
    it will drain you like hell but ct6 and ct7 bookwork is quite easy to digest,ct6 questions are not very friendly though

11. anoushka

anoushka Member

So I've decided on 2, 6, and 7. Bit unsure of 6 but will give it a try.